Author Topic: Wood rasp rotary bit work?  (Read 7509 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Wood rasp rotary bit work?
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:15:33 AM »
Does a wood rasp bit work that much better than a regular metal bit with like the spiral type cutter on it?

And on the same note, I can't imagine a hand wood rasp would be quicker than a dremel tool either?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy anything to work better on my wooden turkey decoy(s).

I know for sure that I need a new belt on my belt sander!   :2up:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
Re: Wood rasp rotary bit work?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:20:58 AM »
Get a dremel, you can use it for horn and antler work anyway.
Formerly known as Goosedown1

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:47:43 AM »
I use common dremel wood bits constantly.  I've got a regular dremel with a pen extension, and a rechargable stylus dremel.  I use them almost every day I'm in the shop for something.

I'm wondering if rasp bits will hog the wood away faster, or if they're just a gimmic.

I've tried to join one decoy making forum with NO luck on getting approved, and the other one I joined tonight seems to be a bunch of elitists scratching eachother's ego's on crappy looking decoys.  Gonna be a fun ride, that's for sure!  Looks to me like I'll be riding this tureky decoy adventure solo. 

I KNOW my 1.0 finished product will look crappy, but I won't be expecting anyone to be telling me it looks good.   :wav1:

You know.....what it was like when you worked on calls back in the day by yourself, and then this new site popped up on the internet, but the only people that responded to help you out were guys named Al and Marvin.   :up1:   :gitrdone:

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:01:50 AM »
Parker,

If you want to use the wood rasp type bits you need to step up to a 1/4" flex shaft type machine.  A Foredom, or simular brand will out perform a dremel hands down.  You can chuck in a Carbide Cutzall (spelling?), or rotary rasp bit and hog wood away.  I like the spiral fluted bits, as it seems to give a smoother cut while they are sharp. You get a tremendous amount of torque with these machines, so caution is neccessary.

Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline Mark at Bad Medicine Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 08:03:11 AM »
Parker I don't have much experience with rasps vs. rotary bits but have you tried joining workingdecoys.net?   I joined last year when I wanted to get into cork decoys and there is some very fine work on that site.  can't tell you how helpful they are as I never asked a question, but it might be a place to check out.  Good luck!  I sure am glad people are helpful on this site I wouldn't be half as far along as I am with out you all!!
Mark Levasseur

Brandon, VT

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.   Isaiah 40:31

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:20:33 AM »
I agree with Dave.  The Kutzall bits, that I affectionately call "The Bit of Death" will really hog out wood.   And skin.   You need to be VERY careful with them around edges and corners as they will jump up and bite you.   

Here is a link to a store on E bay  that sells Kutzall bits.  I have used him before and he ships fast and the products are first rate.

http://stores.ebay.com/Kutzall-Closeouts?_trksid=p4340.l2563

He's a lot cheaper than buying from one of the big carving houses.   

The bits come in various shaft diameters, and there are some made in 3/32 I believe that will work on a dremmel, but the big 1/4 inch shaft bits of death will hog out wood or acrylic like no tomorrow.    And just let me reemphasize, they do a heck of a job on skin too so be careful with them.

AL @ THO

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 08:50:51 AM »
Thanks gents.  I ran into one of those Kutzall bits in my searches last night, and they do look BAAAAAD!  .....good or bad I guess.....

I've ran regular dremel tools around my fingers several times.  I will be sure to keep this in mind in using this type of bit.  I'll use a vise to hold my work rather than my off-hand. 

I would like to upgrade to a nicer rotary tool, and I'm sure I will if I continue this decoy venture.  Its just not in the cards right now to own one. 

Thanks again everyone!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:13:27 PM »
Parker if you do upgrade, you should seriously consider the Foredom. It is a super carver. This is the one I have. I've had it for about 5 years and use it frequently. Only takes moments to change the bit and will do a lot of work.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:31:04 PM »
My bad, I didn't read it very well and thought you were using a hand rasp  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Formerly known as Goosedown1

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 12:34:24 PM »
Parker, I use a flame shaped kutzall on my dremel with the flex shaft attachment for any rotary carving that I do.  I will jump on you and will flat out eat wood.  The finish isn't amazing but when you want to remove a bunch in a hurry it does the trick. 
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 04:20:02 PM »
 :2up:  Thanks man!  I will look into one!

I think I could get into this stuff pretty easily!  I want to stick with wood though rather than other materials.

I'm not sure what you mean by a flame shape?  Like a cone with a rounded top instead of a spike?

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »
Parker, years ago when I was trying to convience myself that I was a wood carver, this is the place I used. I"ve been in his shop numerous times and it is great. Get his catalog, as he has everything a wood carver could want. By the way, the name is Smokey Mountain Wood Carvers in Townsend, TN, not far from Knoxville, TN. 

http://www.woodcarvers.com/
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 06:51:51 PM »
Found the bit you're talking about Highlooker!  Thanks!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 07:50:53 PM »
oops, i said kutzall, but the one I have is the saburr tooth cutter.  Green flame tip.  Similar ton the kutzall though.
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 11:10:56 PM »
I've about got my decoy worked down to where I want it to be.  Pretty much just rounded all my edges.  Nothing fancy.  I'm going to try to add demension with my painting of feather areas.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls