Author Topic: It finally happened....  (Read 8121 times)

Offline Matt aka ducknazi of Hawk Run Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: It finally happened....
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 03:17:26 PM »
Great hearing of the succuss jester.  been kickin this idea around for a while, just might have to get off my butt and do it.

thanks for sharing.

DN
Hawk Run Custom Calls

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:06 PM »
Hey Bob,
Can you share any tips on what you think make goose guts work?  What causes the sharp crack or gets you the speed?  What makes the low end growl?  How does reed shape change things..??
You don't have to share any dimensions or such, I'm just curious.   :bow: :bow: 

Actually, the fact that goose guts even work is just amazing.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 02:00:25 AM »
Designing the gut required that I make a list of what I really wanted out of the gut, in order of importance. Some of the things that were most important to me were efficiency, range, speed, and a monster low end.

I started off buying a bunch of different gut sets and setting them up in my calls. I adjusted and re-adjusted them, swapping in different reeds, trying the curve up and down, using tape on the wedge to run them farther out of the insert, or changing the wedge to something thinner to set them deeper into the call. Then I took notes on everthing I had learned with each change, how I thought it affected the sound or operation of the call compared to what I was looking for, and what I didn't like about the call or setup. I would then spend a few hours going over the gut, measuring the primary and secondary angles, the width and depth of the tone channel, the length from the hinge point to the tone channel end, etc.
The list took months to compile and about 25 pages in my notebook.

What also happened over that period of months was me finding the correlations between what worked best for my air presentation, call designs, and ability. I started working over sets of guts to change the primary and secondary angles, as well as hinge point to test some of my theories as to what I thought would bring me into where I would be happy with the gut. I'm not gonna lie to ya, it wasn't cheap, easy, or fast, so if your thinking on doing this in a weekend your probably gonna need more time. I figured out with the reciepts I could find that I am way over $500 into this little adventure with guts, materials, and postage, but to set up a call with a set of guts that you worked this hard for is pure joy and worth every penny.

I took a set out to a buddy last night and had him set them up in one of his calls and give it a test run and get his thoughts on what I had and where he thought any changes could be made. He blew the call for about 4 minutes, and told me that it was like blowing a set of very efficient guts with a hinge shave, only louder and with better volume and control. I'm happy to be finished with this set, and ready to tackle the next set with a slighlty less costly and more timely finish this time (I hope!)

Good luck to all!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 07:00:07 AM »
Thanks Bob!
That is the road map I have been considering.... :eek: :hammer: :bow:

Do your guts have a broke in ledge?  Will they get even better as your break them in?

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »
No, they are not broke in, but the material I used should break in fairly easy. I'm very interested to get a set broke in, but it's hard to believe they could sound better.... :punk:

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Cold Front Calls

• New Forum Member
  • "Hunt the Front"
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »
Great JOB BOB!!!!!! :punk: :punk:  Iv gone some of the things that you have done, I baught as many sets of guts as I could get my hands on and yes it was expensive, and Iv made some measurements of those guts but not all of them.  Could you tell me how to measure the angles on the toneboard???  Im having trouble with that part.  Thanks in advance!!

Randy
"Hunt the Front"

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 08:57:34 AM »
Randy,
I was thinking about using a digital angle guage.  I have one and use it all the time making segmented calls.  Nice tool, goes down to a tenth of a degree.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020516/22861/Wixey-Digital-Protractor-Electronic-Angle-Gauge.aspx#Reviews

:up1:   :yes:

Doug

Offline Cold Front Calls

• New Forum Member
  • "Hunt the Front"
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »
Doug, Thanks for the info and link!!!!!  Ill look into it

Thanks,
Randy
"Hunt the Front"

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 08:41:49 PM »
That's exactly how I measured mine, I just set the gut up on a level surface with the back down, and measured the primary and secondary angles with the digital meter. Worked like a champ, and it's handy as heck to have around when you are sanding for exact angles!

Bob