Author Topic: TESTING THE SOUND OF A POT CALL  (Read 7539 times)

Offline doctn

• New Forum Member
TESTING THE SOUND OF A POT CALL
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »
BEING NEW TO CALL MAKING, IS THERE A WAY TO TRIAL RUN THE SOUND OF A CALL BEFORE YOU GLUE THE SOUND BOARD AND PLAYING SURFACE.  I WOULD LIKE TO USE DIFFERENT SURFACES AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SOUND WHILE I CAN STILL CHANGE IT. I KNOW THE SOUND IS DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE DIFFERNT WOODS AND MATERIALS.  I DO NOT WANT TO GET IT ALL DONE AND THE SOUND IS NOT GOOD.  I AM MAKING ABOUT 8 AND HAVE DIFFERENT WOODS AND SURFACES.  THANKS

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: TESTING THE SOUND OF A pot CALL
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
MoHops posted last week that he's used clear silicone, and then put the call in the freezer to take things apart.  I'd just glue them together lightly, and then try this.  Sounds like a great way to approach trial and error to me if it works out. 

I've never heard of such a thing before this.  No doubt you've got to have your surface and sound board glued down, and the glue dry before you know what kind of finished tone qualities you're going to be able to get out of the call.

Before I did this, I would also build some kind of 'tool' that puts a small dowel rod down in each of your sound holes to help pop things out.  The way I see it, you're going to pop your sound board, and then push IT against your playing surface to free up both.

I'd sure only do this on one call to see if it will work prior to doing it on all of them.

I'm looking forward to hearing of your report back! 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls