Author Topic: Equipment selection question?  (Read 6170 times)

Offline downeaster

• New Forum Member
Equipment selection question?
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »
Well guys I apologize for the simplicity and number of questions that are going to follow throughout the next few months but here goes my first three. I will limit my guestions to three or less at a time so as not to confuse myself. :)

1. I would like to turn some calls and my wife is interested in turning projects for her miniature dollhouses along with some smaller bowls and plates and other crafty type things. So I would like to know if the following lathe would be a good one for the both of us to use. Jet JML-1014I: 10"x14" Mini Lathe with Indexing Head?

2. What basic accessories will need to be purchased along with the lathe to get started doing the basics of making an open reed predator call?

3. Is a drill press a necessity or can you drill your call blanks using your lathe?

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Equipment selection question?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:31:19 PM »
Not trying to be a smart alec, but my recommendation is to find a turning club and learn to to turn, try different lathes, find a mentor to help you learn the basics of the lathe.   I can tell you what I would use, but you will find out that you will need a fortune in tools or you will need just the basics.  I have seen too many people jump in and learn to use a lathe by being self taught, and I believe it is the wrong way.  First the lathe is a power tool, and power tools are dangerous.  Second, if you do it on a do it yourself method, you will work twice as hard on a project, you will not only be trying to learn to make calls, you will also be trying to learn how to use a lathe.  It will be frustrating.

You wouldn't buy a NASCAR car and then try to race it in the first 500 mile race without learning to drive it, same with a lathe.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline downeaster

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »
Not much to pick from here in Downeast Maine but appreciate the information.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:24:40 PM »
The Jet Mini lathes are excellent machines.  They have some limitations, but for the most part they are pretty darn near perfect for what we do turning calls.   Parts for them are realatively inexpensive, easy to come by from WMH Tool Group and the lathe has been around long enough that all of the quirks are well documented and worked out. 

But the lathe is just a start.  If you are going to turn calls, you will need, or should I say, you should use a mandrel of some sort.  A pen mandrel with spacers will work to get started, and if you like what you are doing you can upgrade over time.

With the lathe, pen mandrel and a few lathe tools, you will be able to turn some one piece predator calls, even open reed calls.

For lathe tools I would look at a 1/2" Skew, 1/2" Gouge, and a parting tool.  You do not have too, and I would not spend a lot of money of really good tools at this time.  You will need to learn to sharpen them, and it is best to learn to do that on less expensive tools. 

A drill press is not necessary to start, as you can drill on the lathe.  This is one of the limitations of the Jet Mini Lathes however.

The way the tail stock is constructed, there is inherant play in the ram that can cause you to drill off center.   This is not so much of a problem if you are going to turn blanks on a mandrel, but for some opperations, it is best to use a drill press. 

You will need a Jacobs chuck for your lathe to drill with.   They run about 25 bucks and are simply a drill chuck on a Moorse Taper spindle.  It fits in the tail stock and hold your drill bits. 

You will need to be able to hold the work piece some way, and for that you will need a chuck.  You can find a nice one at Pen State for about 100 bucks.  WIth the cost of the jacobs chuck you could probably pick up a drill press for the same or less money.

You might want to start by looking at the tutorials on the main site.  They will give you an idea of what is involved anyway.

Please ask any questions you have.  That what this forum and this site is all about.   If I can help I will and I know that the moderators and members here will do the same.

Al @ THO

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:58:11 PM »
Erick, I already gave you a somewhat detailed answer on another forum, so won't repeat it here. Basically what I said is being echoed here anyway. On thing that Marvin said really makes sense. Get some experience in a learning environment on the lathe. Check out Woodcraft. They give classes. They have a beginning lathe class that is very good for the totally inexperienced. It will teach you a bit about how the lathe works, how the various tools can be sharpened, and how they are used. It is a hands on class and would be just the thing for both you and your wife to attend. There is a store in Newington, NH. Not too sure how far that is from you, but it would be worth the trip to stay in a motel. Just my opinion.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »
Where are you in Maine?  I never even thought of it, but I am only 45 minutes from Newington.   Would be happy to meet you over at the woodcraft store one day, or if you are close, you can take a ride over here to the shop for a day of turning and drinking coffee.   

Al @ THO

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 01:31:29 AM »
Good GRAVY!  I could only imagine what it would be like to learn to turn from THO!

I'm one of those 'self taught' boys bud, and I'm telling you, there's a lot fo growing pains associated with doing it on your own rather than spending a good amount of time with someone else.

Thanks goodness Poor Valley took me under his wing for the couple of hours we spent together. 

For a basic set of turning tools, I SURE have had some GREAT luck with the basic set that Craftsman has.  I've upgraded several of my tools since then, but many of those tools are still in my regular rotation.

Something else you'll learn if you meet with someone, is that sharp tools are a MUST!  Man.....I went a LONG time with dull tools, and I now know I wasted a lot of time with them.

Just some of my initial thoughts.  I'm by NO means a pro, because I still have yet to spend more than say......5 hours of my life watching someone else turn that knew what they were doing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I learned the way I did personally, but at the same time, I would never tell someone else to do it the same way now.

I also like Jet mini lathes.  I've got a VS that's down for the count right now, and it was replaced by a Delta for the time being though.  I worked it HARD.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline downeaster

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 05:52:26 AM »
Al,
I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it. I am about 4 hours from that area. I think I will ask around here to see if there is anyone who does any turning that may be willing to let me watch and ask questions.

I appreciate everyones help and will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Thanks

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 07:15:52 AM »
You must be up around Bangor, Lewiston, Augusta?  Somewhere cold LOL.

If you ever make a road trip down to the Kittery Trading Post or that area let me know.  I'll buy lunch and we can swap lies - I means hunting stories   ;D

AL @ THO

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »
 8)  I'd drive 4 hours to meet with Al.    :P

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 11:48:44 AM »
Crap Al, I would Drive from Ohio to spend a day spinning with you.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
Here is one more option. American Association of Woodturners has a big web site and here is the link to the local chapetes. Contact the local chapter and see if there is anyone in your neck of the woods that is willing to be a mentor. http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List#ME
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline downeaster

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
Braz,
Thanks for the link. I will look for anyone in my area who may be willing to help me out.

Al,
I live in Blue Hill whcih is about 35 miles S of Bangor right on the coast. I usaully get to Kittery once or so a year when I need my gun fix or to restock on reloading supplies. Lunch and doing a little spinning of yarns instead of wood sounds like something I would enjoy. I will let you know when I am heading down that way and would love to take you up on your offer as long as you will take some Maine lobster home to NH with you.

You are riight on about the cold. I am about fed up with this snow! I have been forced to use snowshoes since December in a few of my hunting areas and have been kept out of all my prime beaver trapping spots because of access and dangerous ice.