Author Topic: first cow horn  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Les Kuesel at Luv Kalls

• New Forum Member
  • Hunt Fish enjoy the outdoors
first cow horn
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
I have a friend who de-horns cattle I had him save me some. Lots of work from clean-up to finish. I was a little skeptical at first because the horn was pretty ruff. I know I had 3 hours of hand sanding.  Once you have it sanded good the buffing brings out the shine. I used Yellerdog tone boards that really makes it sing. Do you think I need to put a finish on it or leave it natural. Or does it need to be sealed like wood.
Les's   Luv-Kalls

Offline sharpshooter

• New Forum Member
Re: first cow horn
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:00:17 PM »
I have no idea if you should seal the horn or leave it natural but I do know that looks awsome.  :bigup:
If I can see it I can hit it, If I can hit it I can kill it.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:35:51 PM »
Great looking howler!

I always leave mine natural, maybe a bit of wax to bring out the shine, but normally, I just buff the snot out of them and call it good.

Al @ THO

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:47:16 PM »

Holstein horn?  The scrimshaw folks really like those white horns.

I've sanded a few buffalo horns, and know the pain you went through with sanding them from the rough.  But they sure do look purdy once they are all shined up.

If they stink real bad, then you probably want to seal them.  The inside of the horn tends to get nasty from the moisture of one's breath blowing on them, and when the moisture hits the raw horn, it doesn't smell the greatest over time.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Mark at Bad Medicine Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:38:04 AM »
Nice looking howler!
Mark Levasseur

Brandon, VT

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.   Isaiah 40:31