Author Topic: can I ask?????  (Read 4772 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
can I ask?????
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »
Can I ask how far you guys usually seat your reeds away from the mouth of the call?  ......in a JC Products reed setup.

When you're doing this, are you measuring from the back of the reed, or the front, or the front tip (the actual tip of the reed and tone board).

Am I correct in the assumption that the closer it is to your mouth, the less air it will take to run?  (I'm probably not right, but it would seem right to me).

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: can I ask?????
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »
Here is how I like to do my closed reed calls. I drill a 9/32" hole which accepts the reed sleeve very nicely. Then I drill it out with a 3/8" hole, to about 3/8" deep. When I seat the sleeve, with a little CA on it, I can push it all the way into the 3/8" recess so the top of the reed sleeve is at least 3/8" from the mouth. I then set the top of the reed flush with the top of the sleeve. At least that's how I do it.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:30:05 AM »
I usually recess the reed about 3/8" to 1/2".  As to why, because that was the way all the older calls were done.  Look at a like duck call, if you shorten the barrel it affects the sound, if you make a longer barrel it changes the sound, it also affects the amount of air needed to use the call.

As to easier to blow that depends on the exhaust size.  A small bore restricts the air and makes it harder to blow, if you open up the bore it will become easier to blow.  On my old style reeds if I reduce the exhaust bore you would need to take an air compressor to keep blowing it for 30 seconds.  While wide open all it takes is a little air to get it going.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:37:54 AM »
I drill from the ehaust end with a 9/32 all the way through the blank. Then I switch to a uni bit and drill the exhaust to whatever size I want to bell out the call to. Then I drill out with whatever size I want the exhaust to be, usually 1/2 inch. Then I flip the call over in the vise and drill with a unibit. When I finish the call, I sand all the steps out from the bit, the reed sleeve is set at the bottom of the taper. If you look at the calls I have posted, the reed is set down by the lanyard groove on them.

Setting the reed closer to your mouth does not mean it will take less air to run. This is controlled by the back pressure of the call. Al or Marvin can probably give better insight to this than I can.

Hope this helps.

rwehuntn

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
Parker,

If you take a look at the Tutorial on Making Closed Reed Predator Calls you will see one way of doing it, which sounds a lot like Braz and Dogcatcher do.

SInce 99% of the closed reed calls I make are two piece calls, I turn the mouth piece in a chuck, drill it to 9/32 and then taper the inside of the mouth piece with a step drill.  Once that is done, I sand out the ridges to get a smooth tapered boar.  This seats my read down in the call about 3/4".  Of course on the bonkers the reed is set very deeply in the mouth piece.   You do not want your reed to be sticking out of the mouth piece no matter how you do it, and recessing it a bit is a very good idea.

AL @ THO

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
 ;)  Thanks guys!  Just the information I was looking for. 

Yep, should've checked out the tutorial Al!  DUH TO ME!   :P

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls