Author Topic: Distress sound?  (Read 3001 times)

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
Distress sound?
« on: September 20, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
Has anyone ever put one of those distress inserts in the barrel of your squirrel calls??  Kind of like the squirrel buster that Primos makes.  You blow through the exhaust side of the barrel and make a small distress call.  Thought about adding to my one of my calls and seeing how I liked it, but I'm just not sure that it will look all that good or I'll have enough clearance in a 1/2" bore.  Any idea on dimensions of those things or where you can find them??  Thanks.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Distress sound?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
That trick has been around for years and years.   Lohman used to make a predator call called the DuoTone   They still might.   There were others before it as well. 

I've made hundreds of calls that way with a half inch bore in the past.   What matters is the wall thickness where you place the coaxer read.

Here's a tutorial I wrote a while back on how to make them.

http://www.thogamecalls.com/PDF%20Tutorials/PredatorCoaxerCalls.pdf

I no longer use the little coaxer reads in my calls.  I now use a JC reed, the LV 010 L&S.   It makes a realistic field rat or wood rat sound.   Better than anything the plastic ones can make. 

A lot of guys also use the reeds from the dog toys put out by SitStay.com    They sound like crap though. 

Al @ THO

Offline MoHops

• New Forum Member
    • Hartman Woodworks Blog
Re: Distress sound?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »
Thanks for the info Al.  I think I might try one with a coaxer in it and see how it turns out.  I guess I could always have it as an option for someone if they wanted it.