Author Topic: How I make my open reed toneboards  (Read 7743 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
How I make my open reed toneboards
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:22:28 PM »

Here's how I make my open reed toneboards

First, I cut off a piece of 5/8" delrin stock to length.

Then I chuck it into my collet chuck on the lathe.

Then I make grooves for the o-rings.

Next, I drill the exhaust end to the desired depth for proper backpressure.

Then I put the delrin stock into the jig.

And yes, I did put it into the jig backwards. ;D

Next, you can either shape all of the slope by hand on the belt sander, or cut off some waste on the band saw before finishing up on the final slope.

Final slope on the belt sander.

Then it's off to the router table.  This is where I cut the air channel.

Then I connect the air channel to the exhaust bore with a drill bit and a hand drill.

Next I take the dremel to initial and date the toneboard.

Then the final steps of tuning to get the desired sound.  Once tuned, I buff the delrin and remove the sharp edges.

I first started out following the curvature of the jig when I sanded the slope of the toneboard.  But I just couldn't get quite the sound I was after.  That's when I just started using the other side of the jig and free handing the slope of the toneboard.  The jig now just secures the delrin from shifting around while sanding and on the router table.  Every toneboard is a bit different, but you learn real quick how to tune them to get the sound that you desire.  And after going through about 10 feet of delrin making boards, you learn how different slopes and lengths of toneboards affect the sound as well. ;D >:( :D

Al also gave me some tips and tricks along the way to point me in the right direction.  He's just awesome like that.  But there's no other substitute to figuring this stuff out besides wasting a bunch of delrin and mylar. :D

That's how I do it!    ;D

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
Re: How I make my open reed toneboards
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
Great tutorial Brian! Thanks for sharing, if you want, we can probably talk Al into putting that in the tutorial section.

rwehuntn

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:52:56 PM »
Good stuff Brian. Thanks for posting that up there. It is a bit unusual to see you using the back side of the jig, however.  ;D
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »

Here's also my cheat sheet of all of the things that affect the sound coming from the board.

I use this to keep track of all of the dimensions that I change, and keep good notes on how those dimensional changes impact the sound.
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:06:06 PM »
Nice tutorial.

If you send me that jig, I'll send you a good "clamp".   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

John

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:42 PM »
Great tutorial!!! Now that I see how you use the router, I will stick to my drill bits or use the mini mill if I feel like setting it up. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 11:41:53 PM »

John,

I've got 3 jigs - err, I mean fancy delrin clamps sitting around.  I tinker with each one, and I find different uses for them all of the time.  But generally, the uses don't involve using the slope they have. ::)

Marvin,
I've tried drilling all of the way through with the same size bore for tone channel and exhaust, but just can't seem to get the sounds figured out.  The sweet spots are tough for me to find when I drill all of the way through.  But for some reason I haven't figured out yet, the router bit method allows me to widen up the tolerances on the majority of the dimensions and still produce great results.   ??? ???

Brian

builderone

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:46:16 AM »
The most important thing that I have learned from call making is that if it works for you than do it. There is no wrong way if it works  some people are stuck in there ways that works for them  and that is great for them I watch everyones ways try them all to see what works for me. with me I found a perfect bit that I can get my sound that I want every time so that is what I do for the howlers.
chad

Offline ninthinning

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:47:36 AM »
First class, I learned a couple useful techniques here.  I prefer a  back wall in the air channel and would lift the jig and set the bit into the sound board to achieve this.
Thank you for sharing your ideas,
9th
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Free lifetime tuning, repair and materials on all the calls I have made and all I will make.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »
Would you mind if I linked to this tutorial from the main page of the site?  This is just an Excellent Tutorial and really well done.  I never thought of turning the delrin around to shape it.  GREAT idea.

Al @ THO

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 11:55:37 AM »

No problem Al.  I'm just glad to help out wherever I can.

Brian

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 12:38:15 PM »
That is so good, I am going to do it right now!

Thank you - and a lot of guys out there will thank you too I am sure.

Al @ THO