Author Topic: Crow Call  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Crow Call
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 03:36:42 PM »
Parker,

I take mine all the way down.  There is a lip on this one as it is one of the modified reed kits fit with O rings in the Latta Method

My gut feeling is that they look better this way.

Al @ THO

Bucko

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »
Here's a pic of my crow call being turned with my homemade bushings turned from some maple that I had laying around.These bushings allowed me to use my pen mandrel for use with the call turning.The bushings I tapered to accomodate a snug fit and also to allow the slightly larger,tapered end that the sound reed will fit up into.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Well Parker, I just never tried that. I have not made too many crow calls. as that sanding them out was just too nerve wracking, worrying about going too much a then trashing the whole thing. This reamer has changed all that, and I am going to be make a number of them now, and see how they sell. Never tried taking them all the way done, so I'll have to give that a try. Good tip.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline kkbait

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
Braz:  Do you seat them with o rings??
thanks
Dave

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »
The tone board has a #2MT shape to it. Using the reamer and making the same shaped hole, it is a nice friction fit. As Al said you have to be careful not to crack the wood though. That's why I like to leave a bit of wood to help prevent that.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Bucko

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »
                                                                  Here it is fella's my first turned call,I would say the basic crow.I had the step drill bits here at home so I used them to ream out for the fit of the reed assembly.The call feels real good in my hand and should fit my turkey vest pocket quite well.I found the question earlier of the proper recess fit of the reed assembly quite informative and took my fit-up to what sounded like a good call.I've found when I make turkey box calls that testing them outside always has a different sound than indoors so I seated the reed assembly slowly deeper till I liked the sound demoed outdoors,I feel my wife liked the outdoor testing also 8)

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 09:32:16 PM »
Nice looking call. Good job on your first one. Testing outside is good for the marriage too! Darn, that is one fine piece of wood that call is sitting on. Looking forward to seeing the call it becomes.
Braz

Offline patcatman

• New Forum Member
  • "Heads Up Game Calls"
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 11:16:05 PM »
Ordered my reamer this week - Thanks for the info Braz
I sanded the 1st for the fit - not again!  Sounds like the reamer is the ticket.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Offline Waccamaw Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Waccamaw Calls  Do It All !!
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »
after reading Al's tutorial, I started turning my crow inserts down. But now I make my own crow and owl guts.
Most of my crows are for Turkey locators.
Marvin, if you grew up poor in rural Brunswick County (as I did) you would know the delicious taste of "Blackbird and Rice".
Also, you guys better check the law on shoot'n crows ............... somewhere in the back of my mine I seem to remember a treaty with Mexico about shot'n Crows.
Bill

friends don't let friends CNC ... IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 12:10:41 AM »
they are classified as migratory birds now. Our season in N.Y. ended March 31. We could only hunt them on Fri. Sat. Sun. and Monday. They have Tue. Wed. And Thur. Off.  ;D

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 10:26:10 PM »
Nice call Braz and thanks for all the info 2..................Jeff
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small