Author Topic: Crow Call  (Read 8021 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Crow Call
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »
I made up a crow call for a customer today and wanted to talk about the process. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow, but the finish is still drying and I will put some more on tomorrow. Not sure if I'm going to like the finish but I'll talk about it more after I complete the finish process.

As to the making. I drilled a 5/8 inch hole through the entire blank. Then mounted it on a mandrel and turned the call. Nothing special so far. But now comes the change, at least for me. In order to get the tone board mounted, which has a #2MT taper to it, I used my new #2MT finish reamer. It is a hand reamer, that you just put a wrench on the end and turn, while holding the call. At least that's how I did it. Slick, is all I can say. I have done them in the past using a small sanding drum on my Foredom flex shaft, and while it works, I was never convinced the taper was correct. Now I am. It took a long time to get it done, maybe 2-3 minutes.  ;D The toneboard is very easy to get it to sit just where I like it. I could set it deeper by doing more reaming, but it's deep enough for me. I want to leave a bit of the tone board showing to get a piece of shrink wrap on it. You can also use electrical tape. It helps seal the call, and makes them sound much better. This is a tip/trick I learned from the man, Al himself, who else.  ;D Thanks for the tip Al.

I bought the finish reamer at Enco for $35.49, and after seeing how it works, if you do many crow calls, it sure is worth it. Here is the link. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=891-4730&PMPXNO=3904656&PARTPG=INLMK3
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Crow Call
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 09:57:02 PM »
I'll DEFINATELY NEVER make another crow call without a #2 MT reamer!  I agree, its SOOOO much faster of a process!

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Homochitto Hollow

• New Forum Member
  • Most Wanted
    • Homochitto Hollow Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
Be sure and post a detailed photo....
Bubba

Homochitto Hollow Woodworks

www.homochittohollow.com

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:10:20 PM »
I think the reamer is a great idea for wood calls.   My only concern with the taper fit is that a caller can push the toneboard too far into the call and crack the barrell.

For the acrylics I am still going to continue to turn down the reed set on the lathe to a straight 5/8" and leave a lip on one end so it can't be piushed down into the barrel too far..  I just like the looks of it better on acrylic calls, and if you are doing the transparant colors, you have more leaway to polish up the inside of the barrel.  

Thanks for the update on how yours worked out for you Braz.   It sounds like it worked very well.

Al @ THO

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 07:51:09 AM »
 :-X I glue mine in place too.   ???

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 08:31:43 AM »
Really?  Why do you glue them?   I never thought of that.   

See - new ideas every day   :D   :D   :D

Al @ THO

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:42:42 PM »
I though I would post of few pictures of a new crow call I made today and the process. The reaming part of the process, including time for pictures was no more than 3-5 minutes. It goes very quickly.

Standard looking call.

Drilled through with 5/8" bit.

The call and tone board before doing anything. This is as far as it will go in.

The reamer

Inserted and ready to turn with a wrench.

Turned part way and checking depth of cut.

Deep enough

You may have noticed a notch in the side of the call in a previous picture. Here is why. I call this my Bullalo Crow call.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:31:28 PM »
What in the world do you you crow hunters do with these crows?  There is no season in Texas and I cannot think of anyone I know that even hunts them.  I have made a few but all of them have went out of state except for some of the "pretty" ones my wife keeps. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 10:56:45 PM »
Marvin, you just aint' with it buddy.  ;D  Check out this web site that has all you wanted to know about Crows and more. It is a really big deal for some folks.  http://www.crowbusters.com/
Braz

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 11:06:14 PM »
I bet I can go to the local gun shop and ask the first 100 people that walk in "If they hunt crows".  99 would think I am some crazy nut, the last one would tell me I was a crazy nut.   At the same time probably 99 of them will take off from work to go dove hunting on opening day, and the last one will call in sick to go dove hunting.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

blacky

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 11:25:26 PM »
I think most crow calls are sold as turkey locators. I know that is all I use them for.

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 08:23:45 AM »
Crow hunting is a huge sport in many parts of the country.  I know a few guys down in Texas who are avid crow hunters.

Crows are among the smartes birds in the sky.   They see color, see as well as turkeys, the have the ability to LEARN, you can teach them to talk,  This all goes into making them a challanging bird to hunt.

What do we do with them?  Normally, we put on some disposable rubber gloves and throw them to the side of the field.   A waste you say?  No, not realy   They need to be controled.   They can destroy a corn field in short order.  Other crops as well.

They are also natural enemies of birds of prey, especially hawks and owls.   If you have ever seen a dozen or so crows get on a hawk, you will understand.  It's like a WW II dog fight.  And they usally win.

For those dove hunters, it is great practice for wing shooting.  But my two favorite ways of hunting them are to set an E caller right under a big old dead tree, and then back off 75 yards or so with a 17 HMR and wax them as they land in the branches.  You can do this for hours.   They catch on, but you always get new ones to come in.

The other way is to put some dekes out in a field, and an e caller and then get back in the woods aboiut 40 or so yards and pick them off with the 17 when they land.

Of course calling them in and shooting them on the wing is fun too.

In places where there a lot of crows, a crow call is a great addition to a predator stand.  Often tmes it will bring in crows, which wont be there unless something is dead or there is something to eat and the coyotes know it.  It gives them confidnence and sometimes they approach with less caution.

Besides, crow calls are fun to make.

Al @ THO

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 12:06:05 PM »
Great post Al. I would also like to add that they are real killers. They can really put the hurting on quail and ducks and such, as they love to swoop in and steal the eggs. They also will rob the nests of the young. Song bird populations also take a major hit with the large flocks about. And nut farmers hate them, because a flock can fly in and destroy the crops in the course of only a day or two. Unfortunately, they are a migratory bird, hence, they are protected by the federal migratory bird act. When I was a kid we had a bounty on crows of 15 cents a head. Now we have a season. Go figure. But living here in Natzifornia, what else do I expect. >:(
Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »
We have two seasons here.  March 15 to 30 and August 15 to Mov 30.

I did forget to mention the best part about wing shooting them....

That resounding THUMP they make when they hit the ground  ;D

AL @ THO

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 01:26:56 PM »
Braz,

In the past, I've taken my inserts all the way down to the notch.  Do you not reccommend this?  Does it make a sound difference?  We all use our crow calls around here for turkey call locators, so there's no reason to get TOO excited about the sound, but I'd like to produce the best product I can.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls