Author Topic: Sprig Whistle Leather Lanyard---short  (Read 17002 times)

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
Sprig Whistle Leather Lanyard---short
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »
Sprig Whistle Lanyard

I ordered one of TheJesters Sprig Whistles.  See his post up above http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,5039.0.html

While he is making it, I have been thinking on how to carry it….I wanted several options.

Today I decided to braid a short lanyard for it that would allow me to:

1)   girth hitch it to my main duck call lanyard
2)   girth hitch it to my neck knife lanyard
3)   button it into my shirt placket, pocket or collar to keep it handy
4)   who knows what else

So I cut and greased four strings of 1/8” kangaroo lace, about 18” long (I should have cut it about 24” long though)

[/img]

To make taking photos easier I clamped these four strings about 5” down to the table…a clamp helps braid tight but is not necessary.

[/img]

I started braiding 4-plait, a very easy under one-over one braid.

After about 4” of this braid I did a join to form a permanent loop.  Carefully following the under one-over one pattern is key to a neat join here.

Once I have the join pattern worked out….

I start round 8-plait…again under one-over one pattern bringing the “highest” right string around behind the join, and then weaving it properly…then the “highest” left string.  I repeated this 2 times.  Even though the photo does not show it, 4 of these strings are short…the other four long.  Tighten these up neatly before moving much beyond this point.

The short strings are going to be “dropped” into the middle of the braid.  So I taper them to make a neater continuation.  Just ignore the short strings and restart 4-plait braid.  4-plait braid is actually not full enough to completely cover the four strings dropped, but it is close with the taper.  Keep braid tight here.

Continue on with 4-plait until the lanyard is as long as needed, or you have at least a couple of inches of lace left to form the termination knot (here is where I needed a bit more lace…I cut this a bit shorter than I should have for easy braiding and I could have used another inch on the lanyard too).

This end is going to form a braided slip knot….the Sprig call will be slipped into this loop and the braid pulled tight.  This join is just braiding 4-plait around the standing part of the braid.

To finish this slip knot loop up I terminate with a Crown and Wall knot….form the wall by laying the four strings over each other….

I could not actually show the next step as I had cut my leather too short…but to Crown this knot each of the strings goes around the “leg” of its neighbor and out the top of the knot against the standing part of the braid.  

Now tighten everything up all the way back to the wraps that formed the slip knot…use an awl to pull each string around neatly and securely.

Soak the lanyard in water, roll, pull, and tighten anything that looks loose….trim the tag ends and get ready for the Sprig Whistle

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:03:49 PM by schwert »

Offline swobg

• New Forum Member
Re: Sprig Whistle Leather Lanyard---short
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 04:34:30 PM »
I like that.  Must be nice to know what you're doing.  Lots of applications there.

Tom

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
    • Ozark Mountain Lanyards
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
Well done indeed! I have started working with a little leather, but have a long ways to go before getting something that looks that good!
Ozark Mountain Lanyards
http://ozarkmountainlanyards.com/

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »
Here is the short leash on the CrabApple Sprig Call done by TheJester.

I looped this into my shirt button for quick access this weekend as I practiced.  Drake mallard and Teal I think I have...with Widgeon likely but man-0-man trying to roll an R for the Pintail...well that is something I don't think is coming out of my mouth :no:

Offline Nelson Woodworks

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:35:04 PM »
Try fluttering your uvula rather then the tip of your tounge. It is much easier and makes a much more controlled trill than by using your tongue. Phil Robertson says that making the trilled whistle of the pintail is why God hung that little piece of meat in the back of your throat.  :tt2:
Formerly known as Goosedown1

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »
 :thanks:
Absolutely love looking at your posts.  I'm more a functioning lanyard maker but you sir are pushing me to give up paracord.  That kangaroo lace just looks to good. 
Your picture tutorials are better than most books I've Bought.
How does the girth hitch on the lanyard look?  ( if you don't mind)  for some reason. I can't picture this in my head.  I keep thinking prusik knot.
Jon
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 07:28:40 PM »
It will look just like a single loop prussik.  I call it a girth hitch but others have said they call it a cow hitch.  I actually do not know what it is called  :whistling:

However it is just the call pushed through the braided loop.  I do not have a photo I can find just now...but will look.

Thanks for the compliments...I really like working with the kangaroo.  It makes for a nice lanyard and ages well.

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
Here is a shot of two loops---looped.  My girth hitch would be sort of like that on a lanyard loop.

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »
Here is another (less clear shot...but with much better calls) ::)

And an actual girth hitch as I call it on a knife...I did this braid for a friend and this is his image...

And on a whistle lanyard I did for my wife...

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:31:20 AM »
Thanks for the pictures.  That's what I thought you were talking about.  You beat me to the next question, how it held up.
I've done a little leather work but never attempted braiding it.  Most of the lace I've run across hasn't been that nice, and it got brittle after light use.  I knew I wasn't using the right stuff and switched to paracord.  Now I think I need to revisit leather.
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
The kangaroo lace I use is very strong even though it is thin.  It wears very well, stands up to wet, sweat and normal wear.  I have neck lanyards that I have worn for years and other than them turning a dark red/brown they are as strong and flexible as the day I braided them.

I use machine cut kangaroo from David Morgan in Bothell WA.  The sticky post above has this listed...

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,6201.0.html

Most of the leather lace available from Tandy and the like is much more brittle and hard to work.  This kangaroo is somewhat expensive but I really will not even bother using most other leather to braid.  When I invest the time in these I want them to work easily and last.

I use saddle soap on these things when they need cleaning followed by Pecard dressing.

One of my first braids was a bolo....it is close to 30 years old and still looks and wears great.

The front braid in this shot shows how the braid will look after a few months....this redish tone will change to an even denser red/brown after about a year.