Author Topic: Howler using my chuck "UPDATE"  (Read 8543 times)

Offline crazy_cottontail

• New Forum Member
Re: Howler using my chuck
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 01:30:50 AM »
I`m waiting to find the guy that knows how to skin a porcupine? John if you ever upgrade to a Jet we better grab r seats. Can`t wait to see what the future holds. I got one to compare it to in a year
Rich Jerome
aka crazy_cottontail
Printz Creek Predator Calls

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 01:38:08 AM »
You skin a porcupine from the belly. And very carefully.  ;D  There are days I think I'm getting worse instead of better. I made 2 calls today and threw them both out. I really hate that.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline crazy_cottontail

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 01:55:36 AM »
Don`t worry John i hate summer. I have 12 bodies looking for boards and i`ve been to busy to get on them. Its hard to stay i when its nice out. When ya have 2 sons its harder lol
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:05:17 AM by crazy_cottontail »
Rich Jerome
aka crazy_cottontail

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 02:19:15 AM »
I`m waiting to find the guy that knows how to skin a porcupine? John if you ever upgrade to a Jet we better grab r seats. Can`t wait to see what the future holds. I got one to compare it to in a year.

Don`t worry John i hate summer. I have 12 bodies looking for boards and i`ve been to busy to get on them. Its hard to stay i when its nice out. When ya have 2 sons its harder lol

I gotta start doing that too. Collecting other peoples calls. I have one of Parkers calls. It's great.
I like summer but only the cool days. I hate it when it's really hot out. Luckily in N.Y. the really hot days are few and far between.  It's only in the 40's here tonight.  ;D  I should go check and see if it's snowing yet.

John

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
Re: Howler using my chuck "UPDATE"
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 05:59:33 PM »
Rich:
     Your method worked great. I liked it much better than a chisel and it was much smoother and alot faster. Thanks for a great tip. This is the call. It's black walnut. I waxed it instead of dipping it.
John

JB Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »
That really looks nice John. I prefer the oil/wax finish over the dipping, but that's just me. But for duck call, dipping may be the best since they are exposed to so much more wet environments.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 09:53:29 PM »
Thanks Braz. I like the wax to now that I have some.  ;D  I will still dip some but I like to atleast have the choice.

John

JB Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 10:25:44 PM »
Glad to hear that you like the dremmel way of doing the bell end. I have not tried that so far, but am going to give it a try. I have an extra dremmel with a flex shaft that I'm going to hang near the lathe. that way it will be easy to give it a try.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 11:12:38 PM »
Just hang on if you hit the back side of the call with the dremel Braz. That smarts.  ;D

From doing one today it seemed best to run the dremel full speed.

John

JB Custom Calls

Offline crazy_cottontail

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 02:16:16 AM »
Glad i could help. Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once and a while LOL. Thats the way i`ve been doing my bells all along. I thought is was the norm kinda like using a 12 gauge brass for a hooter. I haven`t bought one of them high end carving bits yet but what i have is surviving my service. It survived my colorwood howler
Rich Jerome
aka crazy_cottontail

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 02:31:27 PM »
I sure like the way it works. I'll have to go to the hardware store and get a spare cutter bit for the dremel. They're cheaper than a step bit.  ;D 

John

JB Custom Calls