Author Topic: Tried a new finish  (Read 6884 times)

Bill

Tried a new finish
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:06:39 PM »
I made these calls awhile ago and found them on the shelf today so I thought I would try a Super Glue finish I thought it turned out pretty good

I haven't set the reeds yet but the will both be open reeds

Thanks for looking
Bill

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: Tried a new finish
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:32:22 PM »
Looks good Bill but how do you finish a call with super glue?

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Bill

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »
I turn the lathe up as fast as it will go then put a few drops of super glue on a viva paper towel and wipe it on the call quickly so the glue don't start to set up or get to hot I done these 3 times a new piece of paper towel every time.Once the super glue was dry I then went over the call with scotch brite then a little friction polish just to set it all off.I don't know if I done it right and maybe someone with more experince with this will tell how it should be done

Bill

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 09:04:34 PM »

How long are you waiting between coats and are you sanding between coats?  I can't get the CA finish to work for me. ???  It ends up looking like an orange peel when I try it.  I wish I could get results like yours.  They have a great glassy reflection at the top.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Bill

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »
I am only waiting as long as it takes to rip another piece of towel and put the glue on and make another pass
Once I start the lathe I don't shut it off till the 3rd coat was on and let it run for about 30seconds then shut it down for inspection of the finish
I then let it set for about 5 minutes then it it with scotch brite left it set a few then a little friction polish,and this is what I ended up with

Bill

Bill

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:17:51 PM »
The glassy reflection goes from top to bottom when holding them in your hand I think it is the way the calls are shapped the reason the camera didn't pick the shine up
I still hope someone will chime in and tell me if I done this anywhere close to right :D

Bill

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:39:36 PM »
Go to Al's Tutorial page and read his tutorial on applying a CA finish. http://www.thogamecalls.com/PDF%20Tutorials/Filling%20Grain%20and%20Finishing%20Calls%20With%20CA%20Glue.pdf
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »
Nice looking calls.  I really like the one on the right, it looks like it would be a perfect handful.

Have a question how do you do a CA finish on the inside of the calls?  I know on cocobolo and bocote there really isn't a need to finish the inside except for cosmetic purposes but on most wood you need to finish the inside.  So how do you get the CA on the inside?

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 09:46:46 PM »

Bill, there really isn't a right or wrong way to do the CA finish from what I have been reading.  There are lots of techniques out there, and opinions on them all.  If you have a technique that is working for you, that's great.  There are some that use BLO with the CA, some that don't.  Some apply it on slow speed, some that apply it on fast.  Some that apply it with paper towels, and some that use plastic wrappers.  Use whatever works for you the best.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »
Paper towel an super glue with me at the lathe. I think that would spell trouble  ;D . The calls look great.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »
NEVER forget to have a bottle of release agent right at hand! Hasn't happened (yet) to me, but common to get glued to something you shouldn't be.
Bonnie K

Bill

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 10:35:54 PM »
I didn't use the CA finish on the inside of these calls.I am not that good yet!! I used my old way of finishing on the inside.

John the paper towel really holds up surprisingly well believe it or not.It is only in contact with the call a short while.I also apply my friction polish with a viva paper towel.

Thanks for all the input

Bill

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 10:44:43 PM »
Something real good for friction polish are the 2" square gun cleaning patches.  If you get the ones that are made of T shirt material they are great for polishing.  Don't know if you know this or not but even the softest paper actually will act as an abrasive and leave lines in the finish.  With the knit cotton knit cleaning patches there is no abrasive affect.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 10:45:38 PM »
I'll give it a try one of these days. What's the worst that could happen. No don't answer that.  ;D
I have lots of T-shirts full of holes. My wife would love it if I used them on my calls instead of wearing them.

John
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:48:22 PM by John_NY »

JB Custom Calls

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:49:15 PM »
I glued my fingers to the sand paper the first few times. :(.......but after I got the hang of it I like it. I use the glue that I get at my local hobby shop they have thin and medium thickness............Jeff

http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small