Author Topic: Here it is Al ....... Update  (Read 6848 times)

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: Here it is Al
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 12:19:45 AM »
Thanks Braz. I'm looking around for some different woods. I have one piece of cocobolo left but I'm holding off on using it until I'm sure what I want to make. Maybe it will be a long time before I buy if gas keeps going up. It was $3.81 a gallon today. It won't be long and I'll need to decide do I eat or drive my car.  ??? 

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
I hear you on the gas.  I have an old Jeep Cherokee that gets maybe 16 MPG.  I just bought an old Chevy S10 with a 4 cyl and standard transmission.  It gets around 25 on the highway.  Drove it up to one of my hunting spots this weekend and didn't even use 1/4 tank of gas.  The jeep would have gone through half a tank.  It sucks the way gas has run up in the last 4 or 5 years.   The real problem though isn't the cost of gas, it is going to be the cost of home heating oil this coming winter.  A lot of people are going to really be hurting I think.

Al @ THO

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »
Yeah heating oil was expensive enough last winter. I hate to think what it is going to cost next winter.  The price of food and everything else will go up along with the price of gas as well. Our closest Wal-Mart is about a 60 mile round trip so we wait now until we need alot of things to make the trip worth while. My hunting spots are about a 50 mile round trip so I think I'm going to pass on the spring turkey hunting.

John

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline rjl54

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »
Down here in Oklahoma we think "heating oil" is what you use to fry fish  :D.  We don't have hard winters, which is a good thing 'cause my wife throws wood into the fireplace like Casey Jones stoking his steam engine.  Does cut down on the propane bill though.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:36 PM »
Oh yeah!! You're getting curvy now!! It's gonna be fun watching you come up thru the learning process to where you are doing glueups & o-ring fit calls with different woods.  ;D
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 01:50:23 AM »
I don't know HaMer about glue and O-rings etc. My only duck call was a tad crooked so I ligned it up with a hammer.  ;D  The fancy stuff might not be my specialty.  ;D

John

JB Custom Calls

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 10:20:56 PM »
I got at the other piece of cocobolo Al sent me done. I wasn't sure if I could get 2 calls out of it or not when I started but I did and this is what I tried this time. They are both voiced cottontail but after I finished them I remembered/noticed I didn't finish the inside of the barrel ends. But they will be my personal hunting calls so I don't think I will redo anything.  Well maybe I will later on.

John

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:54:55 AM by John_NY »

JB Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Here it is Al ....... Update
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 12:03:07 AM »
Nice calls John, nice.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline rjl54

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
John you're comming along at a fast clip!  I really like the shape of the left or lower call.  Nothing wrong with the other, just one fellow's personal preference.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 10:49:10 PM »
I like the one on the left better to.

I did this one today from the Black Walnut Rich "Crazy Cottontail"  gave me. It's a Fawn Bleat. I couldn't get a good picture but you can see the shape anyway.

John

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:55:19 AM by John_NY »

JB Custom Calls