Author Topic: 2nd knot  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
2nd knot
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »
I wanted to see if there is a deference in how a knot turns out using thinner wood in the kerf cut. I still need to tweak my glue up jig and tighten it up a little more but I have photos....still need more practice
any suggestions welcome  Repeat
My glue up jig

Block ready to turn will be open reed from Al@THO

Knot all ready starting to show

two coats Hut crystal clear

Will Hunt For Food

Offline sharkathmi

• New Forum Member
Re: 2nd knot
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »
Repeat,
I like your metal jig you have. I'm just using 1"x2"s for now!!
The first cut / glue is easy, nothing to align. The second cut gets more complicated.
On your top picture, it looks like the left half could be moved up a bit to make the inserts align.
Putting some shim stock under the left half will remedy that, pushing it up and aligning the insert.
I have a bunch of pre-cut shims ready and waiting when I glue things back up.
And I will always pre-assemble dry first to see how many shims will be needed and where they go.
Once I get everything all lined up dry, I take it apart, glue it up and re-assemble.
You can also make small adjustments by changing clamping pressure between the end clamp and the side clamps.
All in all it looks good.
Keep good notes on what you do, what works and what don't work.
The thickness of the insert definitely has a lot to do with how it goes back together.
What are the two woods you used? Just curious.
Mark

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »
I like the looks of it. I'll leave this kinda stuff to you guys who know what you're doing with wood. I'm too dangerous with tools to try that stuff. LOL

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline spitfire

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:42:38 PM »
Even thought it is off center a little it look great! Some ideas. I would also clamp the ends as well as it seems to me you would be able to use a clamp to wiggle your way to alignment. Have you considered making some kind of adjustable jig to help align things? That is what I plan to do when I try my first knot which I hope to be soon.

You can see in the first picture that your second cut didn't line up right when you glued it up,  so I know what to look for when I do this, why didn't line up right? Do you think if you would have clamped the ends it would have helped align everything?

Also, just personal opinion here but I think you should try the same color combo again but where you put the 3 grooves instead of grooves next time  glue it up so the 3 lines are the same color as the knot, I think that would look great!

Offline MinotBob

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »
It might take a little longer but would it be better to glue up after each cut? That way your only trying to align one joint at a time.

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
sharkathm
Thanks for your post up Spit I think the clamping pressure is the whole secret to your knot getting of whack But I am still trying to fugue this out.
My camp is used to keep the side to side movement from happening I clamp the sides as well as the ends of my block I think to much end pressure is what cause my block to rise up and move on me I think taking photos is the way to see where we miss some little thing after I when back and looked at the photos I could see where 2nd joint moved on me Thank god for digital cameras can take 100 photos load on computer then delete them...John NY
any one who can make the quality horn calls you do, Can make knots I'm just surprised you haven't done a knot or atom in horn yet :bow:
MinotBob that is how I do my glue ups on joint at a time...Thanks for the input guys I making a new jig up today that is a true 1.5 x 1.5 my other jig was only 1.25 x 1.25 don't know if that had any real affect should not have??? but this way block can't roll a little at all. I am going to figure this out yet..
Repeat
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:38:04 PM by Repeat »
Will Hunt For Food

alscalls

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 03:30:48 PM »
You guys got me thinking I should try this but my band saw is broken......I am working on something though.... :wacko:

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 03:35:15 PM »
Do you have a chop saw or just the band saw use the chop for knots band saw for the atoms might get by with scrool saw??
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »
alscalls
Al here is a wave? I made today using just a chop saw 2- 30 degree cuts and 2 - 45 degree cuts lot faster to build than knots!!
Repeat

Will Hunt For Food

alscalls

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
 :bigup: :bigup:

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 11:01:25 PM »
Hows about posting a pic of the other side of the wave. I want to see how the lower side comes together.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline spitfire

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:28:01 AM »
I like that wave, that is something I have been wanting to try as soon as I finish up a few I am working on. great work!

Offline sharkathmi

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 10:46:49 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
I agree with spitfire, nicely done. I like the contrasts in the woods too :yes:

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »
Got an idea, maybe a not a good one but it's an idea for the alignment issue. Now since I bore my blanks on the lathe, I was wondering...what if one should bore the pieces as you go through the process??? I hope I can explain this right....Cut a boring jig on the same angle as your planning for your knot. THEN...use the jig to drill your spacer peices on that angle. ALSO bore your main peice of wood as normal. THEN cut and assemble as you normally would BUT use a dowel or bolt to hold everything in line as it dries. Because the hole is bored the peices cannot move beyond the limits of the size of the bore even if it's closer or further because of the angle on the peices. RIGHT????
ok, I confused myself....I think... :helpsmilie:
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines, but have not followed through on it yet. Too many other projects and not enough time.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/