Author Topic: The 5 minute tone board  (Read 17921 times)

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
The 5 minute tone board
« on: April 21, 2008, 08:31:30 PM »
Background & History

A couple months ago I was talking with a fellow call maker about Tone board Jigs.  Since the only person who ever made them got out of the tooling business, call makers have been left to either make their own jigs out of wood and non hardened metal, hand craft them by eye, or use molded tone boards.

While all of these methods work, and some very well, the first two are time consuming and the later can be expensive.

The talk turned to Duck Call Jigs, and the viability of modifying one for use as a Predator Call Jig.

For those not familiar with Duck Call Jigs, there are basically three types.  The first, is the custom jig.  Duck Call Makers spend hours, even years developing a “sound” they are happy with for their calls and then send a prototype tone board to a trusted tool maker to have a jig cut to his specifications.  These jigs range in price from 350 to 500 dollars.  The next is the “Public” jig.  This jig is designed and sold to allow non custom call makers make calls for themselves.  The public jig is based on a call makers specifications and will work to produce a satisfactory duck call. These jigs range in price from 100 to 150 dollars.  The last is a simple flat jig that is used to allow the call maker to cut a tone board that he can then shape by hand while developing his own sound. 

While this may be boring to the guy who just want’s to “get to it”, it is important to remember that the original open reed predator calls were modified duck call inserts.

This bit of information got us wondering if a duck call jig would work for a predator call. 

Without having to shell out 100 bucks to test something that might not even work, I decided to take some items I had readily available and do some testing.   The results were simply astounding, and are the basis for this tutorial.  My first time through, it took me 10 minutes to complete this project.  Now, I can do them in less than 5.

The Process

We will start with a standard molded single reed duck call kit.

These kits are available from several sources, and cost from 2 to 3 bucks depending on who you buy them from.   They fit a ½” bore with a slight taper that provides a very secure fit in the barrel.

All we will use is the actual duck call tone board from the kit.  The other items can be discarded.

The first step, is to cut off the cork notch.  I use a 1” belt sander to grind it off, but you could remove it with a hacksaw or what ever you like.  If you leave the cork notch in place and use cork or rubber to hold your reed, you will lose some sound and range.  Remove the cork notch.

Next we want to secure the tone board in a vise or a chuck on our lathe as I have done.

You will notice that on the duck call tone board, the air channel stops well short of the tip of the tone board, and we need to lengthen it.   (red arrow in the photo above)

A small round file will fit the air channel very well and allow us to remove the material to lengthen the air channel. 

Because the duck call tone board uses a short air channel and reed, the very tip of the call is not curved.  We need to fix this to provide a smooth ark all the way to the tip of the tone board. 

A piece of 150 grit sand paper and a small sanding block made from a thin piece of wood or plastic will work well.  This step is eyeballed but you can easily see what needs to be done as you sand the tone board.

I finish up with 220 and then 400 to give the tone board a nice feel and look.

Continued in next post

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:43:28 PM by Al_at_THO »

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: The 5 minute tone board
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »
I then cut a slot for the reed

and a groove for the castration band

I use a paper cutter to cut my reeds.  Cut the reed about 1 ½ times as long as you think you need it.

This next step is going to be ................................

THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP YOU WILL EVER GET WHEN IT COMES TO MAKING OPEN REED CALLS.

Bend the reed as shown in the picture. 

Then cut the bent part so that it is about 3/8 to ½” long.   By cutting it long to begin with, you can line it up to bend it straigher so it fits in the tone board evenly

Insert the reed into the tone board as shown, with the bent part under the top of the reed.

By doing this, you will be using the natural properties of the mylar and allowing it to work WITH your tone board instead of against it.

If you have ever had a tone board that you just could not get a pitch break out of, try this technique and the pitch break will all but disappear.

The reason is really very simple.  Mylar wants to bends in a nice smooth ark.  If the mylar is sitting flat to the reed bridge, it will be forced to follow the tone board, and if the board is not perfect, you will have a pitch break.  B y bending the reed under itself, you lift the mylar up off the tone board just slightly, which allows the mylar to bend naturally even if the tone board is not perfect.  This will not solve a gross error in your tone board design, but it will help those tone boards where you just can’t get it perfect.

This tip is a modification of a tip that was given to me by an old time predator call maker several years ago.  It works very very well.

Once you have your reed installed, cut the reed just a bit past the end of the air channel and trim the sides some, install a band and you are ready to go call coyotes.

Once you do one or two of these, you will be able to make them in less than 5 minutes.

For those of you interested in making your own tone boards using this method, I will have a number of these duck call inserts in my shop for 75 cents each.   I will not list them in the store.  Please e mail me if you want some.

For those of you who want to make your own tone boards from wood or delrin, you should now be a bit more comfortable spending the money on a Public Duck Call jig as with a little modification it will work for our purposes.

Downside to these tone boards,   They are a bit longer than what you might be used too.  Maybe ¼ to 3/8 inch.  The added length does however give a wider range of sounds.

Thanks for looking and good calling

Al @ THO

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:45:05 PM by Al_at_THO »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:43:58 PM »
Good one Al.  Now do one with an Echo ;D, dare you.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:49:38 PM »
Great post Al. I'll definately have to give that a try.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 08:55:39 PM »
Looks like a nice quick way to make a board. It looks like your mylar is quite a bit narrower than the board, is that correct?

John

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »
mylar width is a matter of the sound you want.  A reed that covers the air channel by 1/16 to 1/8 on each side seems to give me the sound I like.  Wider is harder to blow but louder and deeper, perhaps a bit raspier.   Thinner can be raspy too, but you will lose some volume.'

Al @ THO

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:16:15 PM »
Thanks Al. Great post by the way.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:51:55 PM »

Great post Al.  A TON of great tips in that procedure.  You better get stocked up on those duck call kits.  I bet they start flying off of the shelf. :o

Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline kkbait

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »
Great post... thanks Al

Offline rjl54

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 11:13:15 PM »
Hmmm..., I've been using a duck call jig.  But I think you have given me some ideas on how I can speed up the process.  Thanks again Al. 

Offline iahntr

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 11:28:59 PM »
That's great Al !
As always, appreciate your work
and willingness to share.  ;)
Thanks,   Scott

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »
Too bad I didn't see this post last week. I just threw out a dozen old toneboards that were drilled too deep. Looks like they would have made great predator calls. Great tutorial Al.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
Bob, save those old toneboards, drill them on out to the end and then open up the exhaust end as much as you can.  They make great open reed calls and you don't need to add a barrel.  Same thing with Echo inserts.  That should light a few fire fires when you post an Echo varmint call.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 01:12:35 PM »

Marvin,

I have some Echo boards coming in sometime this week.  I'll see what I can do with them and see what kind of bunny sounds I can get from them.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »
 ;D  I've got 20 of those boogers laying around here collecting dust!  They just found a new home when I get the time to make them!

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls