Author Topic: Gold Flaked re-done  (Read 3681 times)

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Gold Flaked re-done
« on: April 17, 2008, 04:04:14 PM »
I thought I'd try something different. Not sure what to think. The pictures can't seem to capture the shine or the flakes very well. I must of took 40 pictures and none are quite right. But here they are a couple double barrel rabbit in distress calls with gold flake. The flake is covered with 4 layers of minwax polycrylic then sprayed with polyeyrathane spray. The calls are narrow enough to be able to cover both barrels very easy to really work the call.
John

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 02:01:38 AM by John_NY »
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Gold Flaked Antler Distress Calls
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:36:35 PM »
Nice John, again someone thinking outside the box. I prefer the plain antler, but there may be a lot of folks that like the gold flake. Great to see you thinking! Nice shape.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:44:27 PM »
I didn't really care for it either but after it was done it was too late. I will say though they look better than the picture.  ;D  Now I guess they will get put up out of sight. I don't think I want to try and get all the layers off them. In person they are very glassy. I just couldn't get that to show in the pictures. I do like to try different things though even if they don't turn out as planned.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:03:10 PM »
Hey, trying is the only way of finding out if something tickles your fancy. I think it was a great job. You did a good job on the call, even if you don't like it. Heck, someone else may think it is the greatest call they have ever seen. Good on you for posting. Thanks.

I bought a cabin in the mountains a few years ago. In the lean to on the back side was a bunch of antlers. One was a particularly nice rack, big 4x4 with pretty good eye guards. I guess you eastern folks would call that a 10 point. The rack was probably 25 inches wide on the inside. Like I said, a nice rack. But they had been hung on the outside of a building for a number of years and were really white and crappy looking. Just for the fun of it, I had some muted copper paiint and so I sprayed them. Well, they came out OK. The paint job was fine, but the copper color was a bit strange. But that summer, when my Grandson, who was 12 at the time, saw them, he though they looked wonderful. I said he could have them if he wanted them. You wouild have thought I had given him a new gun, he was so pleased.

So you see, even if you don't think they are the cats meow, someone else may, and that is why these forums are so wonderfu. To share and talk about, and try different things.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 11:17:39 PM »
I just came back in from the shop. I'm redoing them now.

John

JB Custom Calls

Offline rjl54

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 11:43:16 PM »
Hey John! There might be a market for those.  I see a lotof those young girls putting glitter on thier face, I bet they . ..  >:( no probably not! 

Just joshin'.  Kudoo's to you for trying something different.
                                                                              Randy

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 11:50:47 PM »
I knew they looked bad but I thought I'd show them anyway. I have them redone now. But trying to get that glitter off was a "you know". They are  mostly white now with just a few spots of color left. But the white antler you can get a really good glass shine on.
John

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:56:55 AM by John_NY »

JB Custom Calls

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
Re: Gold Flaked re-done
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 12:38:28 PM »
Those turned out nice. Did you put some sort of finish on the antler, or just polish it? I like the double barrel idea. Good job.

rwehuntn

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »
After I get them sanded smooth I dip them in minwax water based polycrylic. I dip them 3 times total. The camera turned them a little yellowish but they are a nice bright white.

John

JB Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »
Those came out looking good John.
Braz