Author Topic: Inserts are whooping my but.  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Don@srdc

• New Forum Member
  • Smokey river duck calls
Inserts are whooping my but.
« on: November 18, 2019, 10:47:30 PM »
May be in over my head trying to sleeve an insert i guess its called. Have cheaper 5/8"insert material i have been buying online, i have been drilling it on my lathe by placing it in my 5/8 collet chuck. Cant seem to get it exact center though, is this the correct way to drill an insert? I put it in my flat jig trying to compensate for the off center hole but cant never get it cut right. Thoughts and advice? Thanks guys.

ben

Re: Inserts are whooping my but.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 07:48:36 AM »
After you drill the hole chuck a 1/4 in'' drill bit and put the insert on it and slowly turn it and you will find there is a wobble in it most likely then mark the high spot on the wobble and when you put it in your jig to cut place the high spot up and the hole will be in the center, without doing that it may go anywhere.

ben

Offline Wes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 08:14:41 AM »
While you are trying to make inserts just go get some 5/8 dowel rods at the local big box or hardware store. Use those to learn on rather than taking the time to turn each one. Once you get a decent sound you are happy with then go back to good wood.
     Wes
There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »
I would do what Ben suggested.  Before I put mine in a jig, I always spin the insert on a 1/4" mandrel and mark the high spot.  Put this up in the jig and the holes are always perfectly center.

ben

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »
Don''

I have been checking the posts regularly and have not seen if any of the suggestions to your questions have been a help to you. It would be good if they have helped and what helped so others can get the benefit of your experience to help others.

thanks and have a Merry Christmas.

ben