Author Topic: Pot calls with no center hole  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Greybeard

• New Forum Member
Pot calls with no center hole
« on: January 02, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »
Trying to figure out how to work a blank into a pot without it having a center hole.  I remember reading a post a while back about someone making pots on a lathe without using a center hole.  Are glue blocks the way to start it?  Or are Cole jaws the better option?  Are there other ways?  What do the experts think? 

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
Re: Pot calls with no center hole
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 03:42:26 PM »
james,

I do it all the time using a 4-jaw chuck.

I have one set up with large jaws, and turn the inside complete.  Then flip it over and use a chuck with smaller jaws, set right in the groove turmed for the slate, and turn the outside.

Don
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline Greybeard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
Thank you Don.  Next stop, 130mm jaws!

Offline K.Ruge calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 10:53:34 AM »
First use a hole saw  the drill bit in the hole saw  goes down about 1/3" take the drill bit out and finish cutting it and than I use a face plate  with a set screw  , it's already centered and use three smaller screws to hold in place tighten up and go to work

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
I think a glue block and 70mm jaws are the easiest way. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Ryan @ Calusa Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 12:16:14 PM »
Here is what i use.  I use a forstner bit to drill a hole just larger than the smalle (Pinch?) jaws for the chuck and expand them inside the hole.  I then turn the outside of the pot.  After im satisfied with it, i switch to the large jaws that come with the below and turn the inside.  After turning the inside if i need to flip it over and touch up the back or when i sand it, i can grab the pot from the inside with the rubber mounts on the jaws.  I usually turn the outside of a few before switching the jaws over.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html