Author Topic: Unacceptable Runout  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Jordan Bell

• New Forum Member
Unacceptable Runout
« on: December 05, 2019, 10:17:00 AM »
I need some advice from the call makers in the group.

I bought a few year old Harbor Freight lathe from a buddy. It's not the benchtop mini, but one with a 40" bed and best i can tell a lot fewer features.

That being said, I spent the first week or so with it turning some stuff between centers for fun. Was able to make a couple barrels with no bore just to see what i could do and learn a little bit (hoping i can bore them after the fact on drill press as i left the bottom inch or so unturned).

Now i want to get started in my journey with call making and my father in law lent me his collet chuck and 5/8" mandrel. First issue was the thread size/count so i ordered an adapter from PSI that came in last night.

I installed it and the collet chuck and cut the lathe on and MY GOD the runout. I'm talking rattle all the tools off the bench wobble. I have been messaging with Joey D'Amico for some advice on other things and he pointed out that it looked like the adapter was threaded at an angle.

I removed it and re threaded it as carefully as possible and got it as close as i could to the headstock. There is maybe just the smallest of runout just on the end of the adapter but by time i put on the chuck body, nut and mandrel, it becomes unusable.

By the way, I have read on here that some people have this issue from not assembling the chuck correctly. I have done that and dont think it's the issue, as just the chuck body on the spindle adapter and there is already a good amount of runout.

Any advice?

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Unacceptable Runout
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »
Never had any problem with the collet chuck it self. Either the adapter is bad or the lathe spindle nose is bent. If you know anyone that is a woodturner try the collet chuck on their lathe.
What a machinist would do is turn and thread the adapter on the lathe it will be used on. Not an option on your wood lathe I'm afraid.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Jordan Bell

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »
I would be surprised if the spindle nose is bent as the center that I have been using screws on with no issues. I would not expect the adapter to be bad as it came from PSI and the general consensus seems to be great on their work, but i guess it could be possible.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
What brand of collet chuck?  What thread are you adapting from/to?

Reason I ask: I have 3 PSI collet checks and they have all performed great with an expanding mandrel.  I also have the Beall collet chuck and it runs fine with a mandrel. The PSI chucks come with an adapter in the box to be used depending on your lathe nose thread.

With the PSI collet chucks you have to install the collet into the knurled nut, first, before you assemble the chuck or the mandrel will not run true!
Just snap the collet into the nut, I place the nut face  down on the table and snap the collet in place, then you screw the collet/nut assembly into the chuck body, insert the mandrel and finish tightening the chuck.
If you don't follow the steps, exactly, the mandrel will not run true.

Fred
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:12:34 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

ben

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 11:06:25 AM »
In addition to Fred's comment I do not think you could re-thread the adapter and it to be usable. I would go back to psi for another adapter, like Fred I have never had a problem with psi collet chucks. And when you get it running correct drill the hole in your barrel blank and then use the mandrel so it will be true.

ben

Offline Wayne at Winzer Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »
I think you answered your own question when you commented “ There is just the smallest of runout on the adaptor”. I am not sure how you noticed it but if it was by any means other than a dial indicator, Thee’s your problem. Get Abdul indicator fro Harbor Frieght and check each pice at a time for run out. Remover as the horizontal plane legthens, the runout multiplies. I highly suspect you have the wrong adaptor. Look up the lathe on Harbor Frieght and see what the thread count is for that model and get the correct one that will adapt to your collet chuck.
The older blind man was asked "What can be worse than losing you sight?"  He replied " ones vision"
author unknown