Author Topic: Tone board volume question  (Read 5654 times)

Offline T. Stauffer

• New Forum Member
Tone board volume question
« on: October 21, 2019, 08:35:02 AM »
Hey guys,

I’ve been working vigorously on tone boards and have run in to a wall per say. I’ve gotten toneboards to sounds great on low end (quacks, chuckles and even hail) but am lacking volume. What parameters of a tone board could I tweak to get some volume out of the call?

It’s also squealing out when trying to hit those high hail calls. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:02:01 AM by T. Stauffer »

ben

Re: Tone board volume question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 10:24:28 AM »
I would say that your tone channel is a bit short. Try lengthening the channel just a little bit at a time, you may have the curve of the tone board exactly where you want it to be . The other option is to change the curve on the tone board to give more distance between the reed and the end of the tone channel hole.

Be sure the reed is sitting flat no humps on the flat surface of the board. when you push the reed down to the tone channel there should not be any clearance between the reed and the other part of the board.

You cannot blow a call that is constipated, in other words you have to have an exhaust opened up enough to keep too much back pressure from the reed.

Hope this helps

ben

Offline T. Stauffer

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:56:42 AM »
Thanks for the info! I ran in to a whole new issue attempting to get more sound. I tried filing down the tone board to create more distance between the reed and the toneboard and that has caused it to lock up completely... I cant get any decent sounds out of it at all now... I am thinking I will need to start from scratch now.

It just doesn't make sense to me that I took a call that sounded fairly decent and tried to widen the gap between the toneboard and reed and now its completely locking up... I would have thought the opposite would have occurred.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 03:24:12 PM »
If you have not found it yet all the basics are in this tutorial:

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,15814.0.html

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

ben

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »
Where you filed down was most likely too far back and even though it created more distance it made the tone board more flat and that what's happens. start over with a new stopper and lengthen the tone channel just a little bit maybe a 32 second and progress from there for the length of the tone channel . If you get it too long used some filler to cut the length and see where you go.

ben

Offline Wes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
Go get some 5/8 dowel  rods cut those to length and make your tone boards out of that . No use using good expensive wood practicing . Keep good notes as to what happens when you do this or that and you will figure it out. Then you can go back to good wood with a better idea of what you are doing.
            Wes

There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .

Offline T. Stauffer

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice fellas. I do believed I filed too much off on the end of the tone board. I am thinking about filing back near the cork to raise the reed and see what happens. I may start with lengthening the tone channel first though.

ben

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
Start with a new one so you know where you are at. Tinkering with the old one is good but you need to start fresh.

ben