Author Topic: A couple of questions about making calls  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Greybeard

• New Forum Member
A couple of questions about making calls
« on: June 24, 2019, 10:04:00 PM »
Hi all, new here and new to turning wood. Learning a lot from reading lots of threads. Awesome information on here!  I am soaking up all I can!  Have a couple of general questions...

1-  Do you guys make calls in small batches such as all cherry pots with slate over glass or one at a time based on orders or requests?

2- I would like to see how different call makers dry their calls. Do you use drying racks and if so would you share some pics?

Just wondering how other folks work flow progresses...  Thanks for any responses

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: A couple of questions about making calls
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »
I tend to make up small batches and seal/finish them. Using your pot call example, I make up a few pots (wood part only) in both 3 inch and 3.5 inch, seal with Watco Teak Oil and put them away in my wood drying/storage cabinet. I then make the calls (add tone board and striker surface) as orders require or as I want to build another.

Lots of guys that make a lot of calls use a drying rack. Sorry I don't have any pictures but remember some were posted in the past.

Welcome to the Forum!

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 09:41:37 AM »
I use baker's cooling racks to dry my calls on.....BUT NOT MY WIFES!!!!   LOL....I purposely bought my own, but I will say that over the years, SHE has aquired some of Mine...not the other way around.
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline Greybeard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:29:31 AM »
Many thanks for the responses!  It's always good to learn what you can from those who've been doing it longer than you. :thanks:

James

Offline MadTrapper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:38:20 PM »
I use a contraption I made utilizing a grill rotisserie with a wooden dowel that I slide my calls onto.  The rotisserie turns at the perfect speed to keep the finish from running, allowing it to set up nicely.  (This is for standard duck calls, not pot calls.  I didn't realize until after I posted what type of call exactly you were referring to.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:41:47 PM by MadTrapper »
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it". - George Bernard Shaw