Author Topic: Turning tool Sizes  (Read 4019 times)

Offline CPR_Custom_Calls

• New Forum Member
Turning tool Sizes
« on: June 17, 2019, 04:54:26 PM »
Hey all, New to turning and am looking to get into turning my own duck and goose calls. What size turning tools should I look at getting?

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Turning tool Sizes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:00:34 PM »
I was just looking yesterday at my turning tools and thinking how few tools I actually need to make a duck call. I use a 1 inch roughing gouge to turn a square blank to round, a Crown brand Skewchigouge, a 1/8 inch cut off tool and a 1 inch skew chisel. That is all I need to "turn" a barrel and insert.
Don't get hung up on buying tools. Get the few you need, learn to use them and learn how to keep them sharp.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline CPR_Custom_Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 05:24:02 PM »
Thank you! That really helps to eliminate some of the upfront cost on tools. Any brand that is quality but wont break the bank?

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:24:55 PM »
Like anything else you get what you pay for in quality but I have found that Penn State Industries has good relative inexpensive turning tools. I got my Skewchigouge and 1/16 Sorby thin parting  tool  from Packard Wood Working. If you have a local Woodcraft store they carry a good selection of quality tools.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 10:06:52 PM »
I use a 1/2” round nose scraper, and a 1/2” skew for 90% of my turning. I have a couple parting tools that I also use as well. Like Fred said, you don’t need a lot to turn duck calls.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.