Author Topic: Cocobolo Issues  (Read 7074 times)

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
Cocobolo Issues
« on: April 19, 2019, 09:01:17 PM »
Hey guys, I turned a small handle today out of cocobolo. It's the first time I've handled this species. I've read all about the finish issues and the possible irritation that it can cause but I can't find anything about what I ran into. It turned nicely and sanded to a silky smooth finish but the color has gone blotchy and pale. It's almost Gray in some spots.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will the colors eventually return? Did I do something wrong?

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Cocobolo Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 09:43:40 PM »
Try using a little Teak Oil on a rag to rub the cocobolo down and see if the color comes back. I expect you generated too much heat when you sanded.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 07:21:03 AM »
Try using a little Teak Oil on a rag to rub the cocobolo down and see if the color comes back. I expect you generated too much heat when you sanded.

Fred

I was under the impression that oils shouldn't be used with cocobolo because of the oils already present in the wood?

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 11:07:47 PM »

The color typically comes back with time. An oil finish is typically what is used on cocobolo, even though it is an oily wood species.
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 07:31:03 PM »
You are correct on oil finishes, but Teak Oil is made for oily woods.  It will definitely work.

As for the color, oxidation and light will help.  I had a similar issue with the last coco i cut.  I left it next to a window for several days before soaking and the color came back.