Author Topic: Having some problems  (Read 5326 times)

Offline M Lee

• New Forum Member
Having some problems
« on: February 01, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »
Very new to the call making game.  I've turned a couple grunt tubes that I got in kit form from HUT products.  Both sets of wood blanks that I received were pre-drilled, and not really centered very well.  I'm using the pen mandrel and rubber expansion bushing that came it the kit.  The issue I've ran into twice now is that when I cut my grooves for the O-rings they are not the same depth all around.  Is this a result of the holes not being centered or the mandrel I'm using not being very accurate, a combo of both?  Really enjoying turning not real happy with my results yet.  Thanks for the help.
Micah
"In Wildness Is the Preservation of the World So Seek The Wolf In Thyself"

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Having some problems
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »
That is a product of that mandrel set being weak and able to bend.

The drilling not being centered on the blank does not matter, because everything ends up round in the end off of turning round from the mandrel (with a good mandrel).

I hate to say, you will continue to get cheap results from the cheap mandrel. You would be best off to scrape up the money to invest in some straight shank mandrels and a collet chuck. 1/2" and 3/4" for deer calls possibly from Webfoot, and a PSI collet chuck would be your cheapest good deal for it.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline M Lee

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »
Vector,   
Thank you for the  reply,  that is kind of what I was expecting to hear.  I have been looking at other mandrels.  I found a few decently priced from Breakheart Tool Company.  What are your feeling on MT2 mandrel vs. straight shank with a collet chuck.  I need to pick up a collet chuck regardless though.  Thanks again Micah

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
I have gone away from the MT2 mandrels. The collet chuck method is very sturdy for me, and I use the collet chuck for other turnings. Since straight shank is cheaper, I feel it is overall the way to go.

The BH mandrels are of good quality. I have not seen any with knurling though, and I like the extra grip without adding extra pressure to the turning block.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline M Lee

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »
Appreciate your thoughts. Why may I ask have you gone away from the MT2 mandrels, any specific reason? Are they not as accurate as a straight shank in a collet chuck?

Thanks again
Micah
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:01:19 PM by M Lee »