Author Topic: Reamers  (Read 7927 times)

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
Reamers
« on: June 23, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
What type of tapered reamer are you guys using for your real foot calls I've been tapering mine on the lathe but would like to become more precise for a better fit. Thanks

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Reamers
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 06:57:58 PM »
I just concluded a personal study on how the old timers did the taper Ryan and came to the conclusion that a Windsor chair reamer is the most likely reamer used.  The most common angle (taper) is 6 to 7 degrees relative to the center line of the insert.
I personally use an old reamer that I found in a tool box but the Windsor chair reamers are available from "Lee Valley" at a very reasonable price.  There are 2 sizes available and you want the larger size.  7  and 9 degree reamers are also available from auto tool suppliers and are used as tie rod end bearing reamers but they run about $100 or more. A much nicer reamer but the price! There are also "Irwin" brand  "handy man" reamers available on Amazon that, in the larger size, will also work and they are under $50. I also use the smaller size Irwin to smooth the inside of the insert and bell the mouth.
I use a guide I made from delrin to align the reamer with the 3/4 hole in the call barrel. I just slip the delrin guide over the reamer tip and insert the reamer/guide in the barrel and turn by hand.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:18:20 PM »
Thank you Fred for goin above and beyond on your answer to my post . I looked up the reamer you mentioned in your tutorial from McMaster Carr . an I'm collecting info to better my reelfoot calls . thank you sir

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »
I forgot to mention Ryan that it is also possible to make your own reamer.
My thanks to Marvin H  for these links to "how too" articles.
http://www.greenwoodworking.com/SawSteelTaperedReamerPlans
http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/how-to-ream-windsor-chair-mortises.aspx
http://lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/28109

Fred
Fred Roe

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 09:31:28 AM »
This is the reamer I came up with after doing more research and the valuable information from Fred and Marvin. I added a  3/4 straight end to the reamer to keep every thing in line and its a 6 degree angle which from what I've read is about the strongest angled tennon for chair building. I've made a few practice inserts with it and it holds very well. Thanks for everyones help.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »
That looks real good Ryan!! :bigup:
Fred Roe

Offline A. Jordan

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 02:18:49 PM »
FDR..again thank you for all your advice on reelfoot.

How about a photo of your delrin guide for the reamer tip?

art

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »
Here are a couple pictures of my reamer with the guide in place. The guide is an approximately 1 inch long piece of 3/4 inch diameter Acetal (delrin). I turned the outside diameter to 0.740" to provide some working clearance in the 3/4 call barrel bore.
To make the guide I placed the delrin section into my collet chuck and drilled a 3/8 inch hole through the piece. I then placed the reamer in the tail stock, hand turned the lathe spindle and advanced the reamer into the 3/8 hole until I had almost penetrated the 3/4 delrin section.
 As long as the guide does not bind in the call barrel the reamer will follow the hole in the call barrel without cutting into the guide. I would guess that a wooden guide would also work but I have not tried one. I got the delrin from ENCO. Look for Acetal rod. I hand ream the taper for the insert into call barrel and the drill chuck is merely a convenient way to hold the reamer.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 12:20:50 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe