Author Topic: Striker Vibrations  (Read 8637 times)

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
Striker Vibrations
« on: March 11, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
question, does the striker vibrate or does it make the playing surface or both ? and does the thickest of the striker determine how much vibration  ?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 12:09:31 AM by VECtor Calls »
Pure T Momicked Game Calls

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: got one for ya
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »
You have all kinds of stuff happening and several things cause it. Having played extensively with this stuff over the years here is what I found out. First is the mechanics of it all which leads to the way you dress as in scuff up the surface has a direct effect on how the striker plays. Finer lines make it play smoother and heavy deep lines make it play rougher. The tip of the striker whether smooth or rough will make it grab or slide smooth. The force at which you push the striker down will effect the reaction you get. Whether you hold the striker tight or loose has a direct effect on how it slides across the surface. The material you use for the striker makes a difference on the reaction, light vs heavy wood and dense vs open grain wood. Essentially what you are doing is skipping the tip of your striker across the surface. Surface prep, striker type IE wood/weight, hand hold and position, surface type, and force, dictate how the vibrations are transferred to the shaft of the striker. The shaft then transfers the vibrations to the head/top of the striker. This creates a reaction when the energy reaches the end of the top of the striker and it transfers this back down the shaft which in-turn transfers this to the glass and creates Harmonics. The relative amplitudes and frequencies of harmonics with respect to time/speed define timbre – i.e. the sound we hear. Excitation source would be the striker you are using and gives the system energy. The Wave-guide would be the surface you are using it on. When the system oscillates in a steady periodic fashion it produces a complex waveform that can be expressed in terms of a fundamental frequency and harmonics. The Resonator or your Pot, primarily takes energy away from the wave-guide to produce sound. The resonator will oscillate in it’s own way in sympathy with the wave-guide so changing the oscillation of the wave-guide and modifying the resulting timbre the sound we hear. It's all basic acoustic sound generation principles. Did I go too far? Oh well you get the picture.  :2:
Oh yea changing anyone of these parts will effect what we hear and yes it all vibrates!
Larry
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:02:01 PM by Prairie Game Calls »
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »
What he said. Hehehe. :)
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »
Awesome explanation, Larry!  I'm going to link this post in the thread I started about strikers a few weeks ago.  I'm still working on a way of compiling as much information about strikers as I can.  (To be reposted later for a possible sticky).
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 12:08:04 AM »
Bump with some great info from Larry on strikers.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

c stivison

Re: Striker Vibrations
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 02:24:25 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :huh:  :thanks: