Author Topic: Diaphragm Jig  (Read 48472 times)

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
Diaphragm Jig
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:13:17 AM »
After doing quite a bit of research on diaphragm call presses and jigs, I decided to just make my own....I greatly appreciate all the help I have gotten from guys on this forum,, and want to give back some way.....i hope this helps

To begin with, i took two blocks of wood roughly 2x4x6 , and ripped 3/4" off one of my blocks...so now i have a 2x3.25x6 block
Then i took my other block and cut a 3/4 notch out of it , this is what my peice of 3/4 bar stock mounts on.

This is a displacement gauge, you can buy them with various mounting options, but this one had a mounting configuration as shown...so i mounted it to the side of my block....  It is mounted on the block that stays still, not the block that moves.

Now you can see how i mounted the bar stock to ride the moving block and move the displacement gauge accordingly....

The next thing i did was get some 3/8 rod, and cut myself some tracking bars....this is what keeps the jig aligned while moving in and out....so i measured my holes and drilled them out, and glued my rod in the moving block

I then took and drilled a 3/8 hole all the way through the moving block, this is for my 3/8 all-thread that will be used to crank things apart, this is also on the moving block side of the operation....

I then took and drilled a 5/8 hole to countersink a nut on both ends of my all-thread so that the all-thread has a means of threading....

Here i used a 3/8 fender washer just as added protection to keep the nut from moving, it presses up against the back side of the nut.....Also i turned down a handle and tapped it with a 3/8 thread and glued it up to my all-thread

Here is what it looks like up to this point in the game, notice there needs to be a notch taken off of the stationary block to allow the bar stock enough room to slide back and forth to run your gauge

I then painted it, just for looks, and mounted my gauge, and my toggle clamps..... i cut down some aluminum angle and mounted it to the toggle clamps...and then cut receiving grooves into the blocks for the clamps to seat the latex in

I had a broken drafting square laying around and cut it to use here for the latex to lay on while the blocks are apart.....this required an 1/8" notching on both blocks, when the latex begins to stretch the plastic comes out

Here are a couple angles of the finished product.....

Here is what its all about.....stretching that latex
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Diaphragm Jig
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:24:45 AM »
Nice work!  That is impressive, and a part of the custom experience your customers should really enjoy!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
You get my sincere praise for innovative creativity, that is well thought out jig.  Thinking out of the box and creating your own tools is what makes callmaking such a great hobby.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »
Thanks guys, that means a lot coming from both of you.... I had fun making it and it works great, so its enjoyable... I think i had $60.00 in it...
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 12:15:58 AM »
How about a tutorial on how you go through the steps on making a call?   With an explanation of each step?

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Brad Robinson

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:50:40 AM »
How about a tutorial on how you go through the steps on making a call?   With an explanation of each step?

Marvin
That would be awesome and answer alot of my questions

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
And there ya have it.  Nice work! 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 11:33:00 PM »
i'll see what i can throw together.... :bigup:
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »
i took some pictures and what not but it is hard to gather it with just the pictures, so i will try to make a video and post it up
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
Very impressive!!  I've never used nor made a diaphram call.  But, I love to see homemade jigs, tools, etc.  It always gets my mind thinking of what I could make to move my callmaking to the next level.