Author Topic: What determines the rollover sound on the box call?  (Read 16881 times)

Brad Robinson

What determines the rollover sound on the box call?
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
I made a few calls in the past that are sitting on my bench that wont roll over. What makes the call rollover?. Is it the arc that is too high? too low? Lid not positioned right? I am assuming that the lid must strike before center creating the kee kee sound and then hit center for the yak sound and then hit past center to finish the yelp. Do you just keep working on the arc until you get the roll over sound?

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: What determines the rollover sound on the box call?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »
Well... The lid should ride down the rail from the front to the back of the call. Most box calls will have the lid ride the top of the rail in the front to the rear but at the rear it may drop to the inside of the box. Too much radius on the paddle may cause the paddle to ride the inside of the rail from front to back which is not desirable from a sound stand point. What I look for is high pitch in the front the center pitch drops down and the back part of the box should drop in pitch even more. So what you should end up with is 2 spots on the side rail that has breaking helps. The first one is in the front to center and the second is from center to the back of the call. Now that is the base line for a short box. A long box is a little different in that the paddle is in contact with the rail for 1; a longer period of time and 2; it occupies more real estate on the rail than on a short box. Thus you don't have those distinct sharp breaking yelps. Then you have the short paddle call which has a combo of sound from the piercing raspy scream of a long box to the sharp breaking yelps of a short box. All the while watch your width of your box and the radius of your paddle. Wider box flatter paddle. Narrow box more radius . Remember thicker wall higher pitch thinner wall lower pitch. I like to tune my call using only the upper third of the wall and I try to leave the lower two thirds alone. I start off thicker in the front then finish thinner in the rear. Also remember heavier paddle lower pitch lighter paddle higher pitch.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Brad Robinson

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
This helps tremendously, Thank you larry.

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »
Larry when you explain something you go all in and explain all aspects . we thank you for your hard work and great explanations. I learn a little from every post.

Offline Chuckscalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
well wrote Larry when im just about done tuning i play the roll over listen and sand the lid for a better sound you got hear it and feel it when you play the call

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »
Thanks Chuck but I must say you taught me a awful lot and I could never repay you for all you taught me!  :thanks:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline M. Wells

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 06:51:34 AM »
Larry thank you very much!
Making Game Calls is a spiritual thing !!

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:38:57 AM »
Dang!  That's a freaking response right there!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Brad Robinson

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 07:53:27 AM »
Thanks Again larry, I was able to bring those calls to life by following your guidelines, and now tuning a call is much simpler.

Offline RG Hand

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
This is my very first post and I registered on this website just to say THANK YOU!

I can make some very pretty calls but I have been hit and miss when it comes to making them sound ok.  As a result some of the local kids have had some pretty noise makers to annoy their parents with.  Hopefully I can now turn one out that sounds like a turkey!

Thanks again!

Offline Rob Cunningham

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 03:36:03 AM »
Very informative. Thank you