Author Topic: Not the typical striker question  (Read 52408 times)

Offline Greg Sefton

• New Forum Member
Re: Not the typical striker question
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2016, 04:19:25 PM »
Oak is not used much in call making. I don't know why, I suppose just because it is a 'plain' wood that is a little tougher to not tear out, and a little tougher to sand.....for what you get in the end as a final product.

Using oak as a striker, the open end cells of oak wood can easily gum up, filling with residue off the striking surface. That is the only reason I can think to not use it often.

I say go for it, and see what you think.

My update to this thread, I used marblewood for my heads of my two peice strikers this year, with a purpleheart peg, and they turned out great.

Thanks for the input, Vector.  Yes I would sure agree on red or white oak.  But Live Oak is a very different critter.. Being much heavier at 62# cft Vs 44 for the other oaks.  and the hardness is 3200 (about the same as ebony) Vs @ 1300 for the red & white.  Very dense &  tough wood.  I made a 1 piece (live oak) striker today that sounds great, and is the easiest striker to play I've ever used.  I'll have to use it awhile to see if it gums up with a lot of use.  I will admit it's not the prettiest wood, so I'll probably use it for 2 piece ones.  Don't want to hunt with an ugly call.  :no:

Greg
http://classicsportingguns.com/

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Not the typical striker question
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »
Never know what will catch the eye of one guy vs another. :)
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls