Author Topic: Calling questions  (Read 49159 times)

Offline m rogers

• New Forum Member
Re: Calling questions
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »

Better worse or about the same?

BLKDOGS

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »
Alright after a few days here is another try.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80097267@N06/16167417724/

I also been trying to get the same on my last tone board I cut. so here it is a hedge tone board. vs  Stumps  acrylic tone board. maybe I shouldn't go back and forth with the two calls but just want to get the same results on my TB to see where I am at with my call making.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80097267@N06/16602209878/in/photostream/

Thank again Stump and Wade!!!

Offline m rogers

• New Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »

I'm not done by a long shot but if you don't mind to give me an idea if I'm headed in the right direction with my pratice. Thanks Stump for helping me the other day.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2015, 10:52:37 AM »
MUCH MUCH better.... I hear the throat burst (which will get less prominent as you move forward) and you structuring the quack with your air.  In time you`ll develop speed and power in your air.  But your moving forward sir!!!!

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2015, 10:16:58 AM »
Alright after a few days here is another try.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80097267@N06/16167417724/

I also been trying to get the same on my last tone board I cut. so here it is a hedge tone board. vs  Stumps  acrylic tone board. maybe I shouldn't go back and forth with the two calls but just want to get the same results on my TB to see where I am at with my call making.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80097267@N06/16602209878/in/photostream/

Thank again Stump and Wade!!!

Im not really hearing any gating yet (or what Stump calls throat burst) and the note still seem to end with an upward swing in pitch. The pitch seems high and not very raspy, but that could be the recording, the call, or the caller.  So its sort of hard to say there.

I think you might find it helpful to focus on one long slow quack,  instead of a bunch of short fast ones.  The quacks are so short and fast you dont have time to correct anything (at least midnote to bring the pitch down and add rasp).   Figuring out the techniques comes from time working at it, and the longer your notes and slower they are, the more time you have to work on things and better chance you body has to adapt, and start creating a new muscle memory.  Fast notes seem to me, to just continue to reinforce what ever it is youre doing now and not allow you to adapt and change.

Also, when working on technique... I would either stick with one call that you know can do the sounds youre after, or make darn sure that the other calls your floating around between, can make the same quality notes.  I have seen many people, including myself, get completely frustrated when trying to learn, because they just cant get the "sound on the record" - only to find out years later... it wasnt them, it was the call... the call just wasnt capable.  So be aware of that.

I am still a HUGE proponent of getting the Pro Duck Calling DVD and a Volochoke from Carlson Championship Calls, and work on the video with that call.  Then you know you are comparing apples to apples...  just a different apple eater :P

Okay, gotta get back to the asylum before they notice Im missing...  been a mad house around here for a couple four weeks now.  Whew.

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »
Jeremiah

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2015, 01:29:37 PM »
Am I hearing voice inflection through out the note?  Sorta sounds like it.

And if so... thats restricting air volume and not making the reed oscillate properly.  Its sort of hard to tell about the gating because it doesnt sound like full air volume is coming into the call.  But it sounds like you might be starting with some gating, which is good!

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2015, 10:48:20 AM »
http://s851.photobucket.com/user/jcluesman/media/20150311_153841.mp4.html

think I found it guys!

Any thoughts on my last attempt?

You gotta walk before you run here....I think you may be just starting to get it but have a long ways to still go. 
Yes you have the reed oscillating but your air is so flat that I wouldn't call that rattle. 

One of the reasons I did not reply to previous posts.....there is no way that one reads a post and then turns right around and post a file saying is this it?  Time and practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOTS OF TIME!!!!  For example, the cajun squeal took me 6 months to learn the basics and another 6-8 months to be able to do it properly when I wanted.  Time gents and lots of blowing a duck call. 

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.

Offline DanHamra

• New Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2015, 05:04:43 PM »
Stump & Wade (even though I know Wade is out right now),

Is this still a topic that we can post into and get replies from the masters? I  got a GD2 in the mail secondhand the other day to find it all kinds of screwed up by the previous owner (huge dog ears, out of square, and shortened to about 1.480). I intend to send it in for some evaluation and once I get it back I would like to let you guys give me some critiquing if that is still on the table. Please let me know, and I understand I'm a bit late to the show on this one.

Thanks,
Danny H

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »
No worries boss...here to help

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2015, 09:50:30 PM »
Ditto.  Happy to throw in my thoughts and help.  Though I likely dont have the qualifications ole Stumpinator does.

Ill be slow to reply here for the next couple weeks, but will try and check in here and there.

Wade
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:44:26 AM by Wade@WEBFoot »

Offline DanHamra

• New Forum Member
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2015, 11:54:58 PM »
Ill get one up here in about a week or so. Is photo bucket the ideal way to post a file, or is there easier methods?
Thanks

Offline TM Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:39 AM »
Hey stump I have been trying to get into calling contest more and more but I was using a call with a 1/4 in bore I switched to 7/32 it easier to blow but I have the issue of not knowing what a contest call should consist of. I have been playing with it is there some base line info you could share to further this process. Thank you

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2015, 01:08:45 PM »
Hey stump I have been trying to get into calling contest more and more but I was using a call with a 1/4 in bore I switched to 7/32 it easier to blow but I have the issue of not knowing what a contest call should consist of. I have been playing with it is there some base line info you could share to further this process. Thank you

Whether it is a meat or a mainstreet contest...both have the same requirements as far as the structure of the routine
1.  Hail call
2.  Greeting call
3.  Feed call
5.  Come back call
6.  Lonesome hen

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Offline TM Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2015, 01:21:28 AM »
Thank you