Author Topic: Burl caps for worthless wood  (Read 7277 times)

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
Burl caps for worthless wood
« on: December 15, 2014, 08:02:46 AM »
I had a friend drop off a whole box of burls and spalted woods yesterday that he had sitting in the barn for 5 years!  There is a lot of burl caps in the pieces and they would make great worthless blanks.  Anyone here that does worthless blanks and would want to make some sort of deal?  I would love some worthless wood blanks and I have quite a bit of wood here for it.  Let me know!

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Burl caps for worthless wood
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »
That's a good kind of friend to have!  Will be some nice blanks come out of that.

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »
Haha yea I was just having a few beers talking hunting and fishing with a few friends and this guy told me he had a barn full of burls for when he worked in logging haha My ears puked up in a hurry.  Then I told him Id make him a call if he brought by a couple pieces of burl and he showed up with a whole box haha then told me theres lots more when he finds time to cut them up!  I just dont want to see the ends go to waste and love the looks of the worthless wood blanks so thats why I was trying to see whats out there or might just buy a pot and try it myself!

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 05:53:04 PM »
Maybe you should see if you can get to them before he cuts them up so that you can get the right sizes? Just sayin! Seems like a nice stash to start making your own worthless blanks! What kind of wood are they?

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:32:44 AM »
Yea I just told him when he was cutting them up to make them 1.5x1.5 by as long as they go.  The ones that arent usefull are all off the edges of the burls, but they would make unreal worthless calls.  I turned some of last night and it is awesome wood!  Cherry/walnut and maple!  Some of the birdseye is spalted as well and it looks amazing!