Author Topic: Reelfoot CA question  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
Reelfoot CA question
« on: June 28, 2015, 03:49:45 PM »
I'm trying to stick with the traditional style reelfoot calls with a nice oil finish but my CA application has come so far that I'd like to incorporate it into reelfoot. I guess my question is when and how do you CA finish the tone board. before you cut then touch up or my original thought was everything separate but I have a feeling where the wedge and tone board meet it will have a noticeable looking gap do to CA build up. Any advice will be grateful thanks guys

ben

Re: Reelfoot CA question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
I cut the tone board and the wedge in my jig, use my router for the tapered portion of the channel and glue the pieces back in that I cut out and turn to size between centers and finish the portion from just past the wedge block on the exhaust end with C A if that is what I am going to use for the finish , then pop the wedge block off , then I chuck up in a collet chuck drill out the center hole as I want and then finish turning the stopper end and finish it and then pop off the glued piece.

ben

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Reelfoot CA question
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:58:02 PM »
I turn the insert from a blank then  drill the exhaust and tone channel.  I then take the insert to the mill and mill the tone board. I return to the lathe and form the wedge from a glued on block and CA the final assembly (back to the end of the wedge) before I separate the wedge. A Teak Oil soak/dry seals the tone channel and  tone board.
Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?