Author Topic: Wow, I never expected a Reelfoot to sound like that!  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
Wow, I never expected a Reelfoot to sound like that!
« on: May 25, 2014, 01:48:11 PM »
I recently got a trade call from Fred that is the first tuned and working Reelfoot I have ever had a chance to blow. When I got it out to the shop last night and actually had a chance to lay into it, I was impressed as hell on the sound I got from it.

It actually is probably more efficient than a Arkansas style comp call on the highball (and boy does it have a highball), but it is loose and a bit harder to control when you get down to your single quacks. It has a good chuckle and will definitely be on a lanyard for a run on the coast during the early season. I call see this call being a definite asset when hunting big rivers, coastal marshes, or even huge cereal grain fields. It has great volume and the control is good enough to get the job done for sure.

Thanks Fred, you have definitely changed my perception of these metal reed calls. I would have never guessed that they would run and sound like that!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
Re: Wow, I never expected a Reelfoot to sound like that!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 03:24:19 PM »
Thanks for the compliments Bob. Glad you like the call!  In an area where everyone else is blowing an Arkansas a Reelfoot is pure death on ducks.  Just another "should have" tool for your duck hunting toolbox.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »
Another convert!!!

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 05:43:55 PM »
Reelfoots definitely take a different air presentation than an Arkansas style call. It took me a couple of years to be able to run one fairly decent. I like to run a Reelfoot style call every once in a while. They are a fun call to run.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 02:04:05 AM »
It's way different in the transition, but I like the chuckle and the hails are pretty cool. I got a couple of extra reeds from Fred, so I spent a couple hours this evening plying with the reeds to see the differences between them. I was also really surprised at the range you could get out of small changes in the radius at different spots. I got young hen and old hen with the same reed, and both would have been fun to hunt with in a couple of our big water spots.

I'm working on finishing a couple of goose calls for guys that are heading to Canada in a couple of months, so I'm going to wait for a few days to finish things up before I start on building my first. I've had a ball the last couple of days researching the lore of the older reelfoot calls, and I'm excited to give one a shot.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....