Author Topic: Best way to attatch pot call to lathe?  (Read 21186 times)

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
Best way to attatch pot call to lathe?
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:31:02 AM »
Hey guys im new into call making , just getting all my tools together and getting a start.  I was wondering what the preferred method is on attatching the pot call to the lathe, id like to use my 3" faceplate if possible, let me know what you use. Thanks and God Bless
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline J Hall

• New Forum Member
Re: Best way to attatch pot call to lathe?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:13:28 PM »
You can use a faceplate, but it limits what you can do with the back side of the call in my (brief) experience.  You might be able to fashion some way to mount the call back to the faceplate with a bolt to work on the back side. 

I recently purchased a 4 jaw chuck from PSI (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html?prodpage=1CU).  It makes turning pots SOO much easier.  The pot can be mounted to the jaw in several ways, from both sides, making it a lot easier to work on each side. 

Prior to getting the chuck, I was gluing a piece of scrap on to my blanks, mounting it on a faceplate, then taking hours to sand down the back side after cutting it loose.  I fashioned a homemade mandrel of sorts to slide the pot on to in order to sand the back, but it didn't work nearly as well as the chuck does. 

ETA:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... so here are two thousand...

This is the 'mandrel' I made.  As you can see, I had sandpaper glued to it to grip the call.  I was only able to barely sand the bottom of the call enough to make it look decent.  There are, I'm sure, a million other ways to do this... I just made it happen with what I had available to me at the time.

And here's with the chuck, allowing me to cut in on the back side of the call, do some really heavy duty sanding, and not have to put that center hole in (although, I get a better sound with a center hole on slate, better without center hole on crystal... go figure).

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:17:17 PM by J @ JR Custom Calls »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »
Get yourself a 3/8" bottle stopper screw chuck, they are $10 at PSI, drill and tap the center of the blank for 3/8" threads.   You can turn the outside, then reverse it and turn the inside.   Or if you have a drill chuck for the lathe with a draw bar you can do the same thing with a short 3/8" bolt from the hardware store.  Just cut the head off the bolt to use it in the drill chuck.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:52:21 PM »
I use a 5/8" center hole with a bolt (head cut off) with washers and nuts,   Tighten the bolt in the 4 Jaw, bolt the call on the threads and turn away.   One I have the center hollowed out I can reverse using just the 4 jaw and do the back of the call.

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »
Awesome thanks guys thats what i needed to know, thanks God Bless
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:03:40 AM »
On the chuck from penn state, does it hold the call by the outer rim??? If so how are u finishing the rim?
God Bless
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 01:03:38 AM »
Not on the Penn State Bottle stopper chuck, it is a screw chuck, and only $10, I think you are describing a 4 jaw chuck, it will cost you closer to a $100.  With a screw chuck or a bolt made into a screw chuck you can turn a pot from start to finish.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 08:10:45 AM »
Thanks marvin,
Okay so the bottle stopper chuck and a drill chuck could fit the same purpose?? And the 4 jaw chuck then how are you finishing the edges , because it holds by the esges right? And it would also mean you wouldnt have to have a center hole for a 4 jaw? But I am liking the sound of $10 verses $100
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »
A 4 jaw chuck is made to hold outside or inside. Usually on a pot call, it is holding from an inside point one shelf or another.  The easiest initial cuts for me are by drilling a forstner hole in the middle of the blank....through or not, your choice.

The 4 jaw from Penn State often comes with the larger and smaller (pin) jaw sets for free. Be sure if you are buying from Penn State for the first time, that you go to retailmenot and get the one time use coupon codes for Penn State from them.

There are a lot of ways to make a pot call on a lathe. All about time vs money vs stability vs the knuckle busting on equipment possibility (4 jaw) vs your design.

Parker

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 10:26:28 AM »
Ohhh okay, so not only will the 4 jaw chuck close against the outer edge but you can reverse it to hold the interior chamber of the call, and that i assume is how you finish the outer work then? And i assume the 4 jaw chuck would also be your knuckle buster of the choices?? Haha
Thanks
God Bless
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline J Hall

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »
The one I linked has 3 sets of jaws.  One pin set that will grab the inside of a 5/8" hole.   One #2 set that will close down on a 1" or so outside diameter or open up to 3.75" hole (ie, grasp the inside of the rim), and a jumbo set that has rubber nubs to close down on the outside of the call without damaging the finish.  It's definitely not the only way to do it, but it is just so versatile. I'll see if I can get pics of the various ways to use it here in a bit so it makes more sense.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
Yes, the 4 jaw linked like J is saying. $90. If you have $180 to burn, get two, so you don't have to switch jaws for different jobs. Only gripe I have is they will bite you. You will use the pin jaws (smallest size) most of the time.

There are all different places you can grip a pot call once you get to turning it with the pin jaws. You could also grab the outside with the jumbo jaws.

$10 to get the bottle stopper screw is a good addition to have around while you are buying too. It will give you several options to play with.

Lately, I have been starting out with a 1" forstner bit hole in my wood, slide it on the pin jaws, and go from there. Slate sound board in the end, so both sides can be played.

Grabbing like this can leave marks on the wood, so you have to watch what you are doing for a final grip at what part for sanding.

Remember the new customer coupon!

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »
Awesome , thanks for the words of wisdom guys, they are much appreciated
God Bless
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline J Hall

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 02:38:22 PM »
Totally agree with Vince... changing jaws is a PITA.  I only have the one chuck, so I will turn several blanks at a time before changing jaws to finish them. 

If I'm not using a center hole, I have to use the jumbo jaws to turn the inside of the pot.  It's really not a big deal, and is actually a little easier since the jaws won't bust the pedestal open like they can with the pin jaws if they're over tightened. 

Here's the pin jaws holding on inside the pedestal to work on the back side of the call -

Here's the jumbo jaws holding on to the outside of the call  (they're rubber coated, so they shouldn't damage a finish)-

And then here's a pic of the #2 jaws beside the pin jaws.  I didn't have a need to put them on, but it shows a good size comparison.  They'll grip the outside of something, or you can expand them to grip the inside of the pot.  They won't expand out enough to grip the outside of a pot though.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
I use my #2 jaws for drilling blanks for deer/duck/goose calls when I feel the need.  Especially when step drilling.

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls