Author Topic: What are some options besides of alumilite?  (Read 10890 times)

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
What are some options besides of alumilite?
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
Just want some insite(well save some $$$$) on what is a good alternitive to alumilite, have heard silmer

Offline RVivian

• New Forum Member
Re: What are some options besides of alumilite?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »
Simlar 41 from US Composites.

RVivian
RAY

Central Texas

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:41:24 PM »
Simlar is cheaper, but it smells worse, and it doesn't "stick" to worthless wood as good as Alumilite.  Remember both MDS sheets advise you to work in well ventilated areas.  This means don't do this in your enclosed basement.  Just because Alumilite doesn't smell doesn't mean it can't kill you.   Neither are cast acrylic, they look good but don't machine or have the same properties as acrylic.  Neither are FDA approved.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »
Silmar is going to be cheaper but it is completely different chemistry.  It is polyester resin vs. urethane resin.  Polyester resin stinks to high heaven and is also very flammable.  Alumilite has virtually no smell and is not flammable.  There are also many other differences, mainly in technical properties.  Another thing to consider is cycle times.  Alumilite can be cast and de-molded within an hour or less typically.  PR will take much longer.

Alternative urethane resins include Smooth-on as well as a couple of others I can't think of off the top of my head.  I have not found them any cheaper though and the folks at Alumilite are super to work with.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:35:34 PM by TurnTex »
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com
MesquiteMan's Cactus Juice stabilizing resin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »
All that I like about alumilite, i just wish it was harder(dunno why other than for sound)

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »
Which Alumilite are you using?  If you are using Alumilite Clear, I doubt you will find much in a casting resin that is harder.  Folks say that Alumilite Clear is not as hard as acrylic but the technical properties does not back this up.  Acrylic typically has a shore D hardness of 80 while Alumilite Clear is also 80D.  Now, if you are using Alumilite White, it is 72D which is quite a bit softer.

If you are going solely by feel of turning, then other tech properties come into play such as elongation which is a measurement of how much it will stretch before it breaks.  Alumilite has a high elongation which is what makes it turn like butter.  Acrylics typically have a very small elongation which makes them more brittle.
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »
mostly white, i have played with the clear but not a lot, it may be all in my head anyway

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »
Nope, not in your head if you are using White!  It is considerably softer.  It is a great product nonetheless but if hardness is what you are looking for, you might want to try out the Alumilite Clear.  The Silmar 41 mentioned above is also a clear product so you will have to do things a little differently.
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
I got the small  bottles of clear, guess I will play a little more, i just got in the stuff from devilbis(however you spell it) and the mixing is a PAIN in the ear and like you said it smells,

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »
I have used Smooth-On, they have both types of resins, urethane like Alumilite and polyurethane like the Simlar.  Only one shipping payment needed. 

Marvin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 05:33:27 PM »
what were some of the differences? in simlar and smooth on, and poly and urethane

Offline TurnTex

• New Forum Member
    • TurnTex Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 11:04:38 PM »
I have used Smooth-On, they have both types of resins, urethane like Alumilite and polyurethane like the Simlar.  Only one shipping payment needed. 

Marvin

Marvin,  Just for clarity, Silmar is Polyester, not polyurethane.  I am sure you know that and it was a typo but thought I would point it out for those that may not.  Also, I have never seen polyester resin at Smooth-On.  Not saying they don't have it by any stretch of the imagination, I just could not find it when I went and looked.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:15:23 PM by TurnTex »
Curtis O. Seebeck
www.turntex.com

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 01:02:48 AM »
Thanks, I forgotten what that name was.  I picked up Smooth On at their warehouse Reynolds Advanced Materials in south Dallas, one of the salesman had a contact that would get me something that was like Simlar and I would buy both from them.  It has been about 2 years since I got any from them, and they are now located Farmers Branch TX. 

Marvin