Author Topic: Striker tutorial 2 piece part 2  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
Striker tutorial 2 piece part 2
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Next make your shape stoping close to the end of jaw depending on your shape I'm gonna do just a generic shape for tutorial. You can get as creative as you would like.

Next when your shape is where you want it take your striker head to your band saw or scroll saw and cut off end that is in the 4 jaw chuck.

Next take and put about 6-7 drops of CA glue into striker dowel hole them place dowel in. Sometimes I use a all clamp to make sure it's all the way in there. You may have to spray a little CA activator to let it cure if the glue comes up. This doesn't happen often but it can.

Next I take it back over to the lathe and sand it smooth I use a small piece of sand paper to protect the dowel from the 4 jaw chuck's small teeth. I will now be chucking up the dowel itself into the chuck.  If you have a 5/16" collet chuck set up it would work great and you wouldn't need the sand paper but I personally don't have that collet.

Next photo is dowel actually chucked up in jaws.

After sanding I use some acetone to clean it up... At this point if your were going to use a CA glue finish or any other friction type polish here is where you would do it while it was still chucked up.

Last pic is finished striker thanks for looking and hope this helps some folks!!

Offline HuntnCarve

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Striker tutorial 2 piece part 2
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:32:44 PM »
Thank you Mac, for putting this all together with the great photos.  I know it takes a good deal of time to do this.  All of us really appreciate the great tutorial. :bigup:

HuntnCarve
Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
David found these two striker tutorials of Mac's to bump. Good stuff just in time for spring! 
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

B FERGUSON

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
Awesome !!!!!
I was Glad I got to see this in person , Mac makes some fine calls.

:thanks:

Offline Terry Boren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 09:48:35 PM »
Thanks for the  help,