Author Topic: One More Method for Reelfoot Calls  (Read 11789 times)

Benjamin Lyle

One More Method for Reelfoot Calls
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the tutorials of the FDR and the Mr. Ben method, so I figured I would post my variation as well.  I don't like to measure stuff a lot, so this might be somewhat crude.....kinda like your Grandmother's recipe where she adds milk until there's "enough" and cooks while stirring until it's "right".  I never make the same thing twice, so duplication is not exactly in my repertoire.  I do use the same process each time, but once it comes to things that affect the sound of the call, I adjust these parameters on the fly until the call sounds "right" to me.   :wacko:    That's the end of my public service announcement for what's ahead.  In short: This is how I do it, maybe someone can benefit from it..........

I use this method for producing both 3/4" and 5/8" bore Reelfoot Call Inserts:

1. Turn rough-shaped insert between centers making a 7/8" diameter tenon on one end

2. Mount rough-shaped insert into jig and clamp down with set screw

3. Cut lengthwise section of toneboard on bandsaw
**you will understand why later on, but this method only works if the deck height of your toneboard is above center.

4. Cut back side of wedge block using sturdy saw
**I tried using different methods of cutting this part, but this seems to be the best saw for me to get a good straight cut

5. Sand toneboard flat
**I use the table from an old joiner with double-sided tape and sandpaper (coarse grit on one end, fine on the other)

6. Sand back side of wedge block flat and touch up the back of the toneboard notch

7. Glue wedge block back to toneboard using superglue

8. Mount insert back onto lathe
**You can see in the first picture why I mentioned in step 3 that the deck height has to be higher than center.

9. Finish turning insert down to desired shape and diameter (3/4" or 5/8")

10. Mount finished insert into collet chuck

11. Drill and finish end of insert to your liking
**Don't drill deeper into the insert than the bottom of your wedge block!

12. Remove insert from collet chuck and use chisel to break wedge block free from toneboard

13. Mark desired toneboard length and mount insert back into jig
**I use a C-Clamp on the end because the set crew is just not sufficient for the next process.

14. Drill toneboard by hand.  Be sure to hold back on the drill a bit as it will tend to grab if you'll let it!

This method allows you to put some angle on the tone channel as well if you are good enough with the drill!

15. Finish sanding the toneboard using the fine grit sandpaper and cut the desired length of your wedge.

16. Insert reed and tune it!

Let me know if anything needs clarified!   :yes:

Bear

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: One More Method for Reelfoot Calls
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
Yes, thanks for sharing!!!!

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »
Thank You so much for sharing that with everyone!   

:thanks: :thanks:

AL @ THO

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »
Great job!  Now we have 3 ways to skin the Reelfoot "cat".

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:15:10 PM »
EXCELLANT INSTRUCTION!   :thanks: :rockon: :bigup:   Great pictures step by step with clear wording even for dummies like me.
You Reelfoot fellas better stop it.  I am getting way too interested in doing one.  Its bad enough that I have 5 basic duck call models and another 5 sub hybrid models.  Do I have room for another model in my lineup?  Perhaps Louwisianna and a cutdown models as well?
Talk about driving me crazy . . . .
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »

Great instructions Bear!  It was easy to read and follow. It's always interesting to see different techniques will arrive at the same place in the end.

Joe, you might as well try to make one of these calls, just to at least say that you have made one. It's almost a religious experience making one, thinking about all the history and tradition of these calls as you are making it.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »

Great instructions Bear!  It was easy to read and follow. It's always interesting to see different techniques will arrive at the same place in the end.

Joe, you might as well try to make one of these calls, just to at least say that you have made one. It's almost a religious experience making one, thinking about all the history and tradition of these calls as you are making it.

Brian
And that Brian is exactly what is so tempting.  Oh great gobbs of crud and more, I am just buried here in what I've got lined up for 2013 already.  Well, I certainly know where to find a good Reelfoot start, and that would be right here.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Benjamin Lyle

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
No problem guys, I really kinda enjoyed the whole documentation side of it.  Maybe I'm just weird, I do like watching the documentary channel!!  :gitrdone:

Guess I may have to find something else around the shop to write up a tutorial on!!! :bigup:

Brian's right, there is kind of a strange feeling you get when working with these calls.  Same way I feel when walking by all the cypress trees at Reelfoot Lake.  Just something about the history of that place................

Bear 

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »
Nice easy to follow tutorial.  Thanks for sharing your methods!

Now you guys that have not tried to make a Reelfoot have three instruction sets.

Thanks for sharing.
Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 07:38:33 PM »
Sharp information!  Thank you very much for sharing this with us!

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls