Author Topic: Basics when learning to tune toneboards  (Read 169063 times)

Offline Phil Morris

• New Forum Member
Re: Basics when learning to tune toneboards
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 04:04:25 AM »
A probably the newest call turner on this site.  I am very appreciative of finding this tutorial here. 

Thanks

Phil

Offline Longntooth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 06:04:12 AM »
I have that little  diagram printed up in multiples. It sure comes in handy when I start monkeying with my tone boards.  Write everything down that you do to a tone board, because IT WILL CHANGE THE WAY IT SOUNDS, and I mean EVERYTHING!  Kitch
Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting for your kids

Offline tkopperl

• New Forum Member
  • Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
I would like to say that having the right equipment while making your inserts will make all the difference.  I have experimented with many different processes, but in my opinion drilling on the lathe with the insert chucked up in a collet has been the most consistent for me.  I turn down a raw blank between centers to the insert shape.  Then chuck up, drill hole, cut tone-board, adjust anything needed.   Keep into mind that every call will be different and reeds are cheap!  Happy Holidays! :xmas:
Brazos River Game Calls

Offline River Mallard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »
You the Man Brian... Excellent job!!!!!!!

Offline HuntnCarve

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
What a Great write up Brian!   You unselfishly provided a great foundation for future, and present day call makers, to build upon.  Heck, I might even try duck hunting in the hopes that someday I'll be able to make a complete call from scratch.
Well done my friend!

HuntnCarve
Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
Thanks!  Great tutorial, will be very helpful as I get back into making calls.

Offline Steel Rain Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Steel Rain Custom Calls
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »
Great job bud! I can remember when I first started out making my own inserts and boy was it a whole lot more messing up rather than getting a great product. Luckily I learned a few things along the way and can just now tweak it just enough to get what I want.
Custom made calls for the average hunter at a price you can count on.

Offline J Curtis @ Calls For Help

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 05:28:10 PM »
Big B, I have made 6 calls so far, I did them all exactly the same. I made 6 barrels one after another then 6 tone boards.......and so on and so on. 2 of my calls sound perfect, the other 4, I have issues with them hanging up on me..... I guess what you call the "Squeal"..... My calls hardly take any air to make them quack, they are very easy to make noise, just the issue with the hang up is all thats bothering me. Even the ones that hang up, sound good, but as soon as I try the "Hail call" it hangs up on me. Thanks for any ideas.

John
You can take the man out of the war, but you will never take the war out of the man.

Offline J Curtis @ Calls For Help

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »
Also, I am using an up slope design for my tone board. and I use Bocote wood.
You can take the man out of the war, but you will never take the war out of the man.

Offline gobblerhunter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:26 PM »
Great article.  Have used the article and drawing.  Great aid in improving call sound.  One area I have not done any research in is the length of the tone board channel (G) between the cork slot and exhaust (E).  Has anyone done any testing in this dimension?

Thanks for any information.

Offline Frank @ Fuzzy's Woodshed

• New Forum Member
    • Two Brothers Woodshed
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 11:09:38 PM »
 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Fantastic tutorial!!
Now, can someone tell me how to get more volume out of my calls? It seems that mine just aren't as loud as some I've heard.

Thanks!
Fuzzy
“The finest tool ever created is the human hand, but it is weak and it is fallible.” Sign above door to shop of planemaker and author Cecil Pierce (1906-1996)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 07:45:30 PM »
Fantastic tutorial!!
Now, can someone tell me how to get more volume out of my calls? It seems that mine just aren't as loud as some I've heard.

Thanks!
Fuzzy

I've seen your video on facebook demonstrating your first call.  Please consider my comments constructive, as they are intended that way. 

First, you need to work on learning to use a duck call.  I don't assert that you have to be a great duck caller to be able to build a decent duck call, but you have to have some basic fundamentals pretty much mastered.  From the videos you have posted on your facebook page, you do not know how to use a duck call at all.  That can be overcome by practicing with a call that is known to sound good (your Echo inserts will sound fine) by using an instructional CD/video that teaches you those fundamentals.  Then you need to practice.  A lot.  Building duck calls without being able to make basic realistic sounds is akin to building guitars without being able to play basic chords.  Basic knowledge and skill of the instrument is a must.  Also, duck calls are typically operated with one hand, without the 2nd hand cupped over the exhaust of the call as you would run a short reed goose call.  Removing that 2nd hand alone will give you a realistic idea of your call's volume.

Your insert is visible in the video on facebook but your questions here need to be accompanied with some more information.  Pics of the insert are an absolute must in most cases.  People need to know what you've tried, what has worked, what hasn't worked, etc.  From your video I was able to tell that the reed of your call goes past the tip of your call's insert.  If you compare that to the Echo inserts you also use, you'll see that is a glaring difference and probably a good part of the reason your call does not sound right.  Beyond that it appears that the cork doesn't fit very well and the shape of the reed is odd for a J-frame call. 

I applaud your first attempt, as it is a starting point from which to grow your skills.

Offline Frank @ Fuzzy's Woodshed

• New Forum Member
    • Two Brothers Woodshed
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 11:56:18 AM »

Aaron, thank you so very much for the input!! I have sent you a friend request on Facebook. Honestly, you are right, I know NOTHING about using a duck call and need to learn more.
Also, I need serious help with the tone boards. I want to make my own but I'm about to throw my jig in the trash and stick with Echo's  :stickman1:
I'm going to start a thread on here with pictures of my jig and a recently made tone board to ask for input as well.
“The finest tool ever created is the human hand, but it is weak and it is fallible.” Sign above door to shop of planemaker and author Cecil Pierce (1906-1996)

Offline rmartin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
I know this is an older post but has great information for anyone learning to tune a call.  The diagram is great, but, I cant find anywhere what each label is supposed to be.  Item F is described as well as a couple of others, but does anyone have what each letter refers to  and any measurements that go with it?  As a newbie, and still learning parts and the how too's, it would be nice to have the labels as well as the diagram.

Thanks in advance

B Hoover

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2018, 06:58:17 AM »
I cant find anywhere what each label is supposed to be.  Item F is described as well as a couple of others, but does anyone have what each letter refers to  and any measurements that go with it?

A = reed length beyond the cork notch
B = tomeboard length
C = bore (cork notch to taper)
D = depth of tone channel
E = exhaust diameter
F = tone channel to end of toneboard
G = bore
X = depth of tone channel under reed
Y = depth of taper

If you search the posts in this forum you will find some of the general dimensions beyond those given by Brian.  The best method is to start turning some inserts and keep notes of what works and what does not.  I can't emphasize enough about keeping notes.  They will be your most valuable tool in the shop.  Change only one thing at a time (A-Y).  Most call makers will help you out, but they will not give you exact dimensions.  I for one, am grateful they did not as this forces you to learn how an insert works.