Author Topic: @%##%@@ I am frustrated!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7789 times)

wolfman26

@%##%@@ I am frustrated!!!!!!!!!!
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:13:41 AM »
Well I got some calls done and they are looking good.  However, Tuning them and geting a good sound is another thing.  ???  I have one question.  When I put a small amount of air into my calls to make a general quack it sounds fine, but when I tget agressive, and try to do a comeback call and put more air and vocalization into it, my call gives no noise but a little squeak and then just air goes out, like it is sticking or something. Could someone give me advice on how to take care of the problem.   thanks

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: @%##%@@ I am frustrated!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:19:28 AM »
Hmmm......I sure wish I had a good answer for you wolfman.  Probably have to wait for someone that's more experienced than me in reed making.  Your tone board is either sticking open, or sticking closed. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline pullit

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:59:58 AM »
when mine does that, it can be one of two things. You can try and trim your reed just a little, or file the back of your insert. Don't go wild with either. If you trim your reed, don't take off more than 1/32 of an inch at most, less is better, you can always cut a little more off. When filing off the back end of (the curved part) of your insert, you will be suprised how little it takes to make a BIG difference. 3 or 4 light strokes with a mill smooth file on the last 1/3 of the insert will let you know if your headed in the right direction. Once again, you can alway file a little more off if needed, but it is real hard to put it back on.... ;D
I may not be smart, but I can lift heavy object...

callmaker60

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:44:26 AM »
I only make pot turkey calls, but as they say.."paying your dues"...it will come..

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »

I am just learing this stuff as well.  One of the things that I would check first, is to make sure natural bend of the mylar is facing the correct way.  Put the mylar lengthwise between your fingers and gently squeeze your fingers together to get the mylar to bow in a U shape.  The bottom of the U should be the side that touches the toneboard.  If it is flipped, it has be known to cause lockup problems.

Another thing to ensure is that the reed isn't touching the inside barrel walls as well.  One of the first boards I made, the reed was too wide, and caused sticking problems as well.  A clear barrel will help you see this if you have some spare clear acrylic around.

If these easy things aren't it, then a possible solution is to start trimming the reed like pullit says.  A pic of the toneboard would help out as well, and a description of how you have the exhaust drilled.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline pullit

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
you brought up a good point, about hitting the barrel and for that matter the up and down side of the mylar.
I may not be smart, but I can lift heavy object...

Offline GN-1

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:53:41 AM »
The problem is in the length of your tone channel in relation to the curvature of your board. Start there. Shawn

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 01:46:20 PM »
sounds like your tone channel is a bit too short. Take a dremmel and lengthen it just a bit until you can stand on it and it doesn't lock up. Best of luck.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
Not trying to resurrect this post, but hoping someone else might stumble upon it and get the same help I did.  I was having this exact problem - would make a basic quack with little air, but as soon as I got on it and tried a hail, comeback, etc. it would lock up and not make a sound.  I lengthened my tone channel very slightly (I actually pushed the whole insert further into my jig and cut the cork notch further back, and took off a little bit at the very tip of the insert) and the problem was fixed.  A little bit more sanding and tuning and I have my first toneboard out of something other than cheap poplar that I'm actually satisfied with!   :punk:
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis