Author Topic: First call and a question  (Read 3620 times)

Offline MJackson

• New Forum Member
First call and a question
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »

This is the prototype for my first squirrel call, i think it looks alright but it sounds more like a turkey thank a squrrel, any tips?
On asthetics or the sound, and the white spots are epoxy from drilling at an angle don't know what i was thinking useing a drill instead of a press.

Offline HuntnCarve

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: First call and a question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 06:59:22 PM »
When I make a squirrel call, I'll bore a 9/32" hole about 1-1/4" in length. Then I'll epoxy in a JC Products tapered sleeve.  The sleeve will hold the JC Products reed (I believe it's a 005). For the bore of the call, I like a 5/8" diameter hole, that butts up against the 9/32" one.   The tapered sleeve is seated right to the beginning of the 5/8" hole. I also use the small 3 tier bellows on my calls.  I'll blade the reed, then carefully insert it into the metal sleeve.  Then I'll slip the bellow over the dovetailed tenon I use at the mouth end of the call.  The "V" shaped (dovetailed) tenon has a couple grooves turned around it to give the rubber ridge in the bellow end some where to sit.  I've found that a shorter barreled calls seems to sound more squirrel like in my estimation.  So watch the overall length.  Hope this helps?

HuntnCarve
Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline MJackson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:55:24 PM »
Thank you for the info been playing with some antler I had laying around and found that a 1.5 inch long with a 9/32 bore and a1/2 inch seat works well will have to try your method on the next wooden one. Is there a good overall length limit that works well or just play with it until its right?

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »
I like 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" total length on the wood part of the call.

Blading the reed is a must to get a low enough tone.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:49:08 AM »
Vince gave you some excellent advice on the overall length of the call and the blading.  Think about a squirrel?  It does not have a huge throat or voice box...Keeping the call small allows for a sharp bark sound.  I've tried longer lengths on the barrels, but always end up with a smaller length for the best sound.

HuntnCarve
Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline MJackson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
Thank you guys for the advice the bladeing has proven tricky. I wanted the look of a 3&1/2 in mag 12 ga so after reading your post I bored one with the reed pocket almost to the end of the call about 1 1/4 in from the end and it sounds much better. Again thank you guys, I am hoping to turn this into a full time hobby it's just plain fun