Author Topic: stupid questions  (Read 6546 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: stupid questions
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »

has anyone ever (maybe i just missed it) posted an illustration of just how a call works mechanically as the air is blown in at the mouthpiece and thru the call and out the exhaust?

This is for a duck call, but the same principal applies to a predator call:

You are asking some good questions, so keep asking. You might want to start a new thread for each question, since runon threads can deviate off of topic easily and you might not get all of your questions answered before the thread turns another direction.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline nwcatman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 08:47:30 PM »
THATS what i'm talking about, and on another level, to carry it further, so i can wrap my head around it, what makes the diff., in an airflow mode, between a high/medium/low pitch predator call. cause i honestly don't know. and would like to. but ur diagram is exactly what i was talking about. thanks!
ROF
Retired Old Fart

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 09:12:18 PM »

Nothing different in air presentations. It is how the reeds are cut that gives different voices. A longer reed usually means a deeper tone. A narrow reed usually means a higher pitch. Reed thicknesses also plays into how it sounds.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.