Author Topic: Castrating bands  (Read 9309 times)

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
Castrating bands
« on: August 04, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »
Alright well it has been driving me crazy.  I want a different color castrating band.  I am tired of green.   :hysterical:  I have been searching for a band that is similar to a castrating band that is not green.  I would prefer black or white hopefully both.  I have been scouring the internet for a few days. 

I have tried the cork notch method.  It works..... I think the band is better.  I think it looks better too. 

I tried neoprene rings.... they will fail quick and do not hold that well anyway. 

I called a Dariy Health USA.  she says they only have green but to call Neogen (closed today) as that is where they get their bands from. 

I have been on Jewlery making forums asking about their o-rings.  Most are made from Buna Rubber.  I ordered a couple of sizes to try out but, I have a feeling buna is going to be about the same as nitrile or neoprene.  I could go normal rubber band style (in black or white)..... but that might look cheap and not last long.  It might give it an interesting wrapped twine look.

Anyone have any ideas?     I almost forgot.  This is for an Open Reed style call. 

Thanks,
Rick
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
Re: Castrating bands
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
I tried latex tube.  I cut small pieces of that.  It works well but, it is hard to cut straight.  It looks kinda sloppy. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
The only colors I have ever seen are orange (reddish orange)  and green.   No I do not know where to get the orange ones from....

Al @ THO

Offline Justin @ Walz Callz

• New Forum Member
    • Walz Callz
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
I have seen Green, Orange, and Yellow. I don't think that they come in the Black and White that you are looking for.

Neogen only has the Green ones on their website.

I would personally look in Farm/Ranch type stores. Although, I don't know how many of those you have up in New York...

Sorry that I wasn't more help.
Now you see 'em,
   Now you don't!

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
Thanks fellas. They don't have to be castrating bands.  Just strong enough to hold the reed and about the same size.  I will post my findings with the jewelry makers stuff once I have them in hand. 

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:00:34 AM by Braz »
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 12:13:07 AM »
I have spent hours googling castrating band, o-ring, rubber ring, rubber o-ring, elastic band, rubber band, latex band, and every combination I could think of.  How did I miss them!  Thank you sir!

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 12:24:07 AM »
Buna rings are not the answer, that's for sure.  They will break and give up long before neoprene.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »
Just under the idea of what they're actually used for,  I would not expect you to fine black or white ones.  They would not be easily seen when being used for their actual use.  :D

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »
It looks like Braz found black ones.  I can settle for black.  White would be nice but I can deal without.  That site is charging $7.20 for shipping and $2.00 for handling.  The bands are only $1.98!  LOL  Looks like if I want them.  I am gonna have to pay.  Watch I order them, and they show up green...... I think I would turn green

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »
Those bands in the first link sure look "green" to me?  You might call them first before ordering and ask the color.
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
I emailed them last night but, I did a google search for that brand of band.  I think they are green......  I will let you know when I hear back for certain.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »
My money says that "black" will be green and it is just the photo.   Somewhere I read they have different colors in Australia, I haven't a clue if it is true or not, but it might be a place to look.

Marvin

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
From what I can tell the Aussies use an orange band.  I don't know if that is exclusive...   

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »
From what I can tell the Aussies use an orange band.  I don't know if that is exclusive...   

On roo's?!

VECtor Custom Calls