Author Topic: Another method for making a Reelfoot stopper  (Read 9308 times)

ben

Another method for making a Reelfoot stopper
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »
 The following tutorial is another method of making a Reelfoot stopper built from parts that is laying around the shop, not expensive to make but works. I tinkered with this for a good while simply because of the costs of other methods.

The jig is fairly simple and will show some pictures of it from different angles and then how it is used. There will also be one for cutting the tone board on the band saw.

Fred has posted an excellent tutorial about making one and the finer points especially the tuning. I think both can be used together and thanks to Fred as he said I should go ahead and post what I have also.

Hope it gets a little more information out on Reelfoot calls. Will be a little long and picture heavy.

Excuse the clutter around.

ben

Turn round between centers and then clamp in 4 jaw chuch square the end sna drill pilot hole with 1/4 bullet point bit and then out to 5/16 to the depth just past where the wedge block will end and then screw a 5/16 hanger bolt in the end.

This is the jig for cutting the tone board flat.

After you have it tightened up then draw a ling to be cut just off center and cut to pre determined depth of the back of the stopper wedge and cut off the oiece in front of the wedge block and then cut the wedge block loose, retain both pieces. 

Sand both pieces smooth and the board surface and glue back on with a dab of ca on both pieces. Put back in 4 jaw chuck line up with the tail stock, you will still have the center mark because you cut just above the center line and then turn the stopper from the wedge to the end. Here you have to have a large enough piece when cutting and glueing back together to get the stopper turned  to match too small and the stopper top will be short, unless you use Fred's method.
Then mount in collet chuck and turn the end of the stopper.

Next mount it in the first jig shown with the anchor bolt, measure both sides to be sure it is level and then apply the overcenter clamp to steady it when cutting the channel. Place the reed on the board and mark the end of it and then mark about 1/8 in. back is where you want the channel hole to begin.

Close the top of the jig, set the router on it and and set the adjustable stops for the front and back limits.

Set the depth of the router with a guage of some sort and cut the channel hole.

This is what it will look like when finished.

The call

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
Re: Another method for making a Reelfoot stopper
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »
 :2up:  Very Nice Benny....Plunge router jig, Thats cool... you put some thought into that my friend.  Thanks for sharing.  Ron
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 01:52:45 PM »
 :bow: :bow: Great Job and Awesome Idea!

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:30:08 PM »
That is one slick set up.  Even the BOSS liked the way it is set up, she also said to tell you hello.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
See guys, another method to do the same thing. Innovation from a guy with far greater woodworking skills than I.  And the call speaks for itself, just beautiful.  Maybe Al will add this to our Reelfoot tutorials also.

Fred
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:46:55 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
wow...I may have more luck figuring out women

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »
I'm going to move it to the tutorials section, as this is another great piece of knowledge associated with these calls.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....