Author Topic: drilling perfect holes  (Read 2120 times)

Offline trooperjd

• New Forum Member
drilling perfect holes
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:46:41 PM »
I make one piece calls and utilize an expanding mandrel.  I drill a 9/32 all the way through and 1/2 partial way for exhaust end.  My lathe tailstock only extends 2.5 inches and drill press 3 inches.  Please share any tips on how to drill a call longer than 3.5 inches and how to drill both holes that will align perfectly so holes are perfect.  You guys are great mentors and i try to soak up all I can.

Offline Jack at Mud Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: drilling perfect holes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:02:02 PM »
Here's what I did but probably not what you want to hear. I went out and bought a new drill press that has a 4" spindle travel. Before that I would drill as deep as I could then raise the table, that got pretty tedious and I still wasn't getting perfect holes. I tried drilling on my lathe but it's a 30 year old craftsman and I could never get anything close to satisfactory drilling results on it. 
BTW I now start with my exhaust and drill about 2" deep. switch bits w/o moving the blank and finish out the 9/32 hole. I then slightly counter sink the hole on the mouth piece on the lathe to remove any chipping from drilling out that end.
The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows his handiwork. Psalm 19:1

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »
I don't know if this will help but here are some links on drilling that I fond very interesting and informative.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,13628.0.html

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,12955.0.html
Wane

Offline Greg at PTDO Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »
I drill my 9/32 hole all the way through then switch to a taperless bit. A step-up bit without the ridges. without moving the call. Its just a start for my bell end.
Maybe run your bit a little farther out of the chuck or even try to find a longer bit?

Offline jawaterfowl

• New Forum Member
  • Jonathan Arp
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »
My drill press has a 4" spindle travel.  ( Porter cable drill press - $299 at Lowes-I LOVE IT!!).  Another option, IF YOU HAD A JAW CHUCK would be to just slide the entire tailstock assembly into the blank (with a bit and drill chuck inserted obviously).  Other then those two options, I dont know.  I will say, shy of the lathe, that drill press was one of the best things I have bought as I used to have the sam problem with the craftsman I had.  Plus if you figure on sellling what you have after buying a new one the cost wouldnt be that bad.  It is already a VERY reasonably priced unit for what you are going to get in my opinion.

Jonathan
Jonathan Arp

Offline Brian at DDT Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »
What kinda call are you talking about?

Offline trooperjd

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:32:41 PM »
Mainly a one peice predator call with 1/2 inch exhaust and 9/32 hole on the other for JC reed and sleeve.  I will be trying my hand at an open reed but, one step at a time for now.  I want to perfect this step first. :yes: