Author Topic: nylon  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
nylon
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:20:46 PM »
Has anyone here tried Nylon Rod for their toneboards?  Does it work?  Is it harder to work than delrin?  Does it sound good?  I have been using the delrin and I like it but it seems like there could be some other "plastics" that would work well also.  I am trying to find something other than black or white.  I know some folks use acrylic.... but that is expensive and hard to work from what I have read.  I am noot quite ready to tackle that game.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: nylon
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »

I have done both delrin and acrylic. But I haven't ever tried Nylon. I know some guys use nylon for their goose guts, but never heard anybody using it for predator boards.  I'd say try it and find out what it's like.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
I have tried Nylatron for milling goose guts.  Its big negative is that is has a quick melting point and I gummed up a carbide router bit creating a mess.  I believe it was my fault for operating at too high of speed.  Nevertheless, I've not had the courage to mill anymore.  The positive is that it had a great sound.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
I will give it a shot.  I figured it would require a slow drill speed.  I drill my delrin at 300rpm so it won't melt.  Think that will be slow enough for the nylon?
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Lonehowl

• New Forum Member
  • Varmints Inc. Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 02:05:47 PM »
Rick, Ive used a lot of different plastics for pred call parts, including nylon. Nylon 6/6 is most commonly used. Imo it sound great, better than delrin imo, but it is hard to machine unless you have the right tools. The big drawback is the mellting point. Delrin will take a LOT of heat while machining/ sanding, before melting, nylon will not. Delrin gets hot and melts but will sort of bust out of the way instead of gumming up and ruining your work. Nylon does just that. It gums up into a glob and stops everything. I used to use a router to cut air channels and nylon does not do well there at all. To fast, and nowhere for chips to go. Even with up cut bits etc.

Drilling is similar. Melting and gumming up. It can be done but takes to long for me.

Color was what started me searching for different plastics to work with, but price and workabilty always bring me back to delrin.

You can get delrin in about 10 colors or so, but it is expensive. Its medical grade delrin. I have had it in green yellow and purple.
Mark
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:07:26 PM by Lonehowl »