Author Topic: Turning pots with an expanding mandrel  (Read 20229 times)

aprilheadhunter

Turning pots with an expanding mandrel
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
When you turn calls on a mandrel you can't rely on wood or your drill press being square.  After you drill your holes you have to square both sides of your blank to the hole you drilled or you will have some wobble. 
If your boards were plained perfectly flat one side and your drill press drilled at a perfect 90 degs to the table it would be much easier to turn a call that didn't wobble when you turned it over.

I start by drilling all of my holes on the drill press.  By drilling all of the sound holes the same depth it makes it easier to get a consistant thickness on the bottom of the call.

After drilling the holes I clean up any tear out on the hole that goes all the way through with a piece of sand paper.

With the tear out gone the pot will lay flat against the spacer I made for my mandrel.

This is what my spacer looks like.  Its made from scrap that I had laying around the shop.

When I put the call on the mandrel I put it on so the side with the sound holes faces out and the side I cleaned up the tear out on is facing the spacer.

Next I clean up the bottom of the call and square it to the mandrel.  If your going to put any divots on the bottom of the call now is the best time to do it.  I try to do everything to the bottom of the call that I want to (except sanding) before I hollow out the inside.

Now it's time to flip the call around.  It's going to wobble until you square it up.

After both sides are square I shape the outside of the call and then hollow out the center.  I use a 3/4" center hole and the center hole is part of the sound board pedestal.

This method isn't perfect but I can flip the call around and get very little wobble.  I did a test.  I flipped the call back over and marked four lines on the call and made 2 light passes with a scraper.

It's not perfect but it's  :censored: close.  You can see a little bit of the 1 line at 10 o'clock but the rest of the lines are gone.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Turning pots with an expanding mandrel
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »
Great tutorial Paul.  Your method allows someone that doesn't have a 4-jaw chuck to make a pot, and that's worth a couple hundred bucks!  Thanks for taking the time to post it up.

Offline KnockEmDeadCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
Great tutorial and that's the only way I've ever turned my pots. Quick and easy  :bigup:
Ethan

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »
Great tutorial Paul.  Your method allows someone that doesn't have a 4-jaw chuck to make a pot, and that's worth a couple hundred bucks!  Thanks for taking the time to post it up.

I've made a few with my 4 jaw chuck before I tried this but I just didn't have any luck with the 4 jaw.

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »
Thanks man, there are a couple things you do i didn't even think about.  I will give it a try tomorrow.

Jason

Offline Wayne at Winzer Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:54:26 PM »
I too use an expanding mandrel to turn my pots. A little variation from you technique but the same principal. It actually does a good job if you square up both sides to the mandrel as you showed. Thanks for the tutorial.

Wayne
The older blind man was asked "What can be worse than losing you sight?"  He replied " ones vision"
author unknown

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
Really nice man!  Thanks for sharing your methods in so much detail. 

When I started reading, I thought, oh man.....I hope he shows people how to use a spacer on there.......

PERFECT!  Really sweet!  Like KC said, gives folks an opportunity to make a pot this way, and decide if they really want to dive into making them.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Uncle Clay

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
I have not made a pot yet but plan on starting soon. I have a question regarding the mandrel method.
Why do you drill the holes first? It seems like it would be eaiser tot urn without more possibility of your cutting tool catching in one of the holes as your work the face. 
As I said, I have not done this before, just trying to get ready to do it.
Thanks,
Clay
"Stumbling block or stepping stone, The choice is yours"

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:41:25 PM »
I find that if you wait to drill your hold, you have more chance of tear out on the drill press.  I use this exact method and can say that i almost never tear out on the already drilled holes.

Jason

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 07:12:11 PM »
Yep, drilling the holes first results in a cleaner finished product. 

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »
I have not made a pot yet but plan on starting soon. I have a question regarding the mandrel method.
Why do you drill the holes first? It seems like it would be easier tot urn without more possibility of your cutting tool catching in one of the holes as your work the face. 
As I said, I have not done this before, just trying to get ready to do it.
Thanks,
Clay

It's way easier to mark and drill your holes on a flat piece of wood.  I use a forsner bit an drill all of the holes to the same depth so when I'm hollowing out the inside of the pot I get a consestent thickness on the bottom from call to call without having to stop and measure.   Just keep removing wood from the inside of your pot until all of the holes show and your done.

Offline Uncle Clay

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
Thanks guys. Your willingness to answer questions is really appreciated.
Clay
"Stumbling block or stepping stone, The choice is yours"

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 10:22:49 AM »
Paul, if a guy's spacer was bigger.....say like 2 3/4" or 3"......I am thinking that could take some of the wobble out too?  Give you a wider base, but be sure it is small enough to where you can still get a full sand on the outside edge of the pot?

I really like this. It is a really easy way for a lot of guys to try their hand at a nice pot call.

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 07:32:04 AM »
Paul, if a guy's spacer was bigger.....say like 2 3/4" or 3"......I am thinking that could take some of the wobble out too?  Give you a wider base, but be sure it is small enough to where you can still get a full sand on the outside edge of the pot?

I really like this. It is a really easy way for a lot of guys to try their hand at a nice pot call.

Vince
It would probably help but it needs to fit inside the sound chamber when you are sanding