Author Topic: casting calls  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Kyle Rinkenberger

• New Forum Member
casting calls
« on: February 25, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
Thanks to TurnTex I spent a good part of a day watching all the videos on Alumilites web site as well as there fishing lure making web site and so far I love the looks of their product.  One idea that came into my head is to cast a complete barrel using their slush method.  My idea is that once you make a hollow barrel you can then imbed the barrel with different stuff to make it a custom for one individual.  In example molding a duck band into the call perfectly centered, molding a lucky charm (not the cereal) for the superstitious types, or your favorite dogs hair in a call, or Alumilites microballons to make a floating call. 

The reason I want to cast a finished barrel and not turn it is simply due to the almighty dollar.  I am not poor but I am not rich.  I know you can case blanks and turn them but there is a good amount of waste.  If someone were to case a finished barrel there would be less waste and more product you have to make more calls.

If you are lost on the type of casting go to Alumilites web site and look through their how tos.  I could try to explain it but I will mess it up.  http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos.cfm

This link has a video that kind of shows the slush method used on a fishing lure.  The video is called Make a lure with Larry Dahlberg  http://www.makelure.com/HowTos.cfm

So after all of that am I crazy?

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: casting calls
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »

There are a few folks already doing this, so it's not a crazy idea. But it's not going to be as inexpensive as you think it will be. Some have invested 3-4000 dollars into trying different resins, molds, etc plus all of the equipment to remove the bubbles as the blank is curing.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »
And I would add, you probably aren't going to be making any money at it. If it were easy to make money doing it, there would be lots fo folks doing it already.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Florida Marine

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:59:41 AM »
I use PR for pens, make a ton of different colors - its really not all that hard, but have not used anything other then PR (Silmar 41)

some folks use pressure pots for the bubbles, I personally the PR, then use an ultrasonic cleaner to remove the bubbles, I get pretty solid casts.  I glue Iwo Jima sand to pen tubs, then cast then and turn them.

Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori

Offline Kyle Rinkenberger

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »
Now that is a pen!  One of these days I will have the $$ to go to Iwo Jima and collect my own sand.  Its been something I have always wanted to do but life and everything else has gotten in the way.  Thanks for sharing