Author Topic: Anyone interested in a goose gut moulding tutorial?  (Read 19442 times)

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
Re: Anyone interested in a goose gut moulding tutorial?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 05:44:42 PM »
Wood can be successfully molded, and that is how I'm going to do this one. You have to take the extra step of adding mold release to the wood so the rubber mold material won't stick to it, but that's nothing in the big scheme of things. If your original is PVC, acrylic, Delrin, etc. you don't need the mold release!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »
well Jester you answered my question before I got to ask it. I just ordered a ball end mill and next was to order some material to make them. Think I am going to get a stick of delrin, but before I use the delrin I am going to make a few wood guts as to get a feel for it. I plan to make a wood jig and work from there. I do have one question whats the best way to make the wedges? I am sure they can be molded as well but have to get a good one made before doing that.

Also want to thank you Jester in advance for doing this. It has me thinking a lot about goose guts and we all understand wanting to show this with a set of guts you make yourself.

Corey

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
I have used Wade's public jig to make a few, but for the most part I'll just take a chunk of material I've rounded down to .625 and figure the length of my wedge, and the approximate angle I need, and run it on the belt sander until it gets fairly close. Then I spray glue a chunk of 220 grit onto a small board and work the angle in by hand until it's exactly what I want.

Not much to tell there, but it has always worked!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Ulrich's Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Sounds good, Ill give it a try. I ordered some 5/8" delrin (only $6.99 for 4 ft from Enco) and now just need to make a wooden jig and then I am ready to start making an attempt at making a few sets.

Corey

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
is this tutorial still going to happen?  i was awful curious to see it done. 

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls