Author Topic: Made a tube call tutorial  (Read 17471 times)

woodwzrd

Made a tube call tutorial
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »
After the discusion over tube calls I decided to take a bunch of pics and try to put one together. I do mine a little different so here goes. If there is no need for it any more that is OK to.

This first step could be eliminated if you were to just chuck the square blank up and bore it that way.

1. I start with a 3 1/4 ish long blank and turn it round between centers.

2. Next I chuck it in my knuckle buster chuck and make the first bore. I step drill mine so they get drilled in two steps. The first is with a forstner bit about 3/4 deep on the mouth piece end.

3. Next I finish boring it out with a jobber bit.

4. Next I sand the inside of the bore.

5. I flare the bell on mine so next I drill the bell end with my step drill. I do this on my expanding mandrel. Be carefull to make sure there is enough distance between the end of the step drill and the mandrel as you drill in. Don't ask why I caution this.  :whistling:

6. Bring up the tail stock and turn to your desired shape.

7. Sand it out and put your finish on it. I CA mine.

8. Here is a shot of the mouth piece end before the lip stop end goes in.

9. I don't have a pic of the next step but since this one has an antler lip stop I rough cut it and shaped it with the belt sander. If I am using the same wood as the tube I start with a longer blank and part off a 1" slug from the end before I bore it. I make my lip stops so they are about 1/8" thick and they cover 1/3-1/2 of the opening.

10. Once the lip stop is fit I hold it in place and put a drop of CA on each corner and hold it until it sets up then I glue it the rest of the way around.

11. Once the glue dries I sand the lip stop down flat up through 600 grit. Then I put a couple of coats of CA on with a Q-tip.

12. You are ready to put the reed on and tune it up. Be carefull that it doesn't get to tight and keep the gap in kind of a crescent shape.

If you don't know how to use a tube this is where the learning curve begins. Here is a link to a video that I found very helpful for mouth placement and technique.    Good Luck

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Made a tube call tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:57:58 PM »
Awesome man!  Thanks!

I'm guessing you're drilling with a 1" forstner, and then a 3/4" jobber? 

This past weekend, we were playing with plastic, wood and metal ones that ran anywhere from a little over 5/8" bore all the way to about  1 1/4" bore.  Seemed to me, 3/4" was the easiest to run????

Crawdad got me lined out pretty good.  Seemed the thickness of the reed made a big difference for us.  We switched them around from one call to the next, what we had between each other.

It was nice to have him there in person to show me what I was trying to do to get a sound out!

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

woodwzrd

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »
Parker you are very correct. I do drill with a 1" forstner and a 3/4" jobber. As you found out 3/4 bore is about the easiest to run. I found that by drilling the mouth piece to 1" and keeping the majority of the bore 3/4" you still maintain good back pressure and have more room for lip placement to vary the pitch.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks for the further tips!

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
  :wacko:  When you say 3/4 deep on the mouthpiece end are you referring to 3/4" or 3/4 of the way thru the blank??
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

woodwzrd

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »
  :wacko:  When you say 3/4 deep on the mouthpiece end are you referring to 3/4" or 3/4 of the way thru the blank??

3/4" deep.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
 :bigup: :bigup:  Thank You!!  :wav1:
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:25 AM »
Freaking awesome tutorial! :punk: So you first drill a 1in bore 3/4in deep and then drill a 3/4in bore the rest of the way correct? What is the correct reed to buy? This is gonna help me so much :thanks: ~Andre

Offline Jason at JTCCalls,

• New Forum Member
    • JTC Calls
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
There is no Reed.  The latex part across the top works much like a mouth call.

Jason

woodwzrd

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »
Andre,

You are correct on the bore diameter and length.

For reed material for starters you can do like I did and get some latex gloves and cut a piece off to put on the call for what I call the reed. (I call it a reed because much like other reed calls you are blowing air across it which causes it to vibrate and make sound.) I have heard of guys using the stretchy exercise band material and I know a lot of guys use what is called dental dam. I Have looked for the dental dam at a couple of different pharmacies and can't seem to find it. If you know anyone that makes diaphragm calls they could hook you up with some latex as well. Another source is Pioneer game calls but they have a minimum $50 order.